Sunday, February 28, 2010

Beneigt Update


The morning after I posted that I was worried about Beneigt, I found him unchanged in the chair in our den.  I tried to talk to him and pet him.  He responded to me, but when I tried to look at his tummy, he let me know it wasn't going to happen. 

I called the vet and she said bring him right on in.
Beneigt has a lot of hair so I held him while she tried to see whether there was a wound of any kind.  She realized the tender area on his tummy was swollen and began to think that he might have an infected scratch from play fighting with Uh-Oh.

Then we found it.
A Wolf.
And not the Red Riding Hood kind.

Now, I am no veterinarian, nor am I a scientist of any kind.  So hold on to your horses while I try to explain this as only a liberal arts major can...

A Wolf is the larvae form of some kind of fly.
The Wolf bores itself into the animal's skin causing great pain, swelling and downright nastiness when you get it out.
Yes, I did say we had to get it out.

As you can imagine, Beneigt was not happy about this.
He had to be sedated.
I almost had to be sedated.

I will spare you the gory details; needless to say, my Beneigt has a hole in his tummy where that blasted larvae thingy dug into his body!!!!
Makes me MAD!!!
NASTY!!!

The vet said it's really early to see Wolves (I guess the plural is the same as if it was the dog kind of Wolf? - only a liberal arts major would worry about that.)
They get on the backs of horses and cows all the time...and even squirrels get them!! EWWW!

My Beneigt had his belly shaved, poked, prodded, squeezed and the wound cleaned out and antibiotics shot in there.  I watched the entire process.

Here's what Beneigt is doing now:


Poor baby...all day Saturday and Saturday night we made him comfortable in his travel crate and kept him in a quiet and dark place to recover from the anesthetic.  He is slowly waking up...and I mean SLOWLY...
He wakes up long enough to try to groom his belly...
Then, he gets woozy and lays back down.
The vet actually said he was stoned. :)
I'll let you know when he sobers up.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your kitty. Poor thing. I hope you both feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little thing. I hope he's going to be okay now. Thank goodness you took him on in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bot fly larvae. Icky. On reason why whole roasted garlic cloves kind of gross me out. We saw one or two cases a year at the vet hospitals I've worked at here in the Seattle area. Nearly always in cats...sometimes a bunny...I can't remember a time I saw one in a dog. They must be picky!

    ReplyDelete