Thursday, February 4, 2010

One Month CheckUp

I'm new to this blogging game so I'm not sure how much you're supposed to change things and how much you're supposed to leave them the same.

I guess since it's my blog I can do what I want... :)  so I changed some things!  Whoo!! Hoo!!



After a month of blogging and reading other people's blogs I've also made some decisions about what exactly I want from this blogging thing...Here are my blogging thoughts so far:

1.  I was right!!  Blogging my thoughts and feelings HAS helped me with a lot of life's little areas that I really needed an outlet for...Duh!

2.  I love comments from other people! 

3.  I even love comments from people I don't know...the first time I got one of these, I was tickled to pieces!!

4.  I spend a lot of time reading other people's blogs...this I didn't expect...after only a month I already have favorites that I can't wait to check on everyday.

5.  I don't like the blogs that have advertisements all over them...I know I don't have full understanding of all this "monetizing" blogs and such...and I'm sure there are some good reasons for this...but I don't know them yet.  Nothing turns me off a blog quicker than to open it and see a bunch of ads...blech!

6.  I never imagined that blogging would reconnect me with 2 friends from the past!!  That has been an extra sweet benefit of blogging that I am so thankful for! :):)

7.  My decision to make this a non academic blog is still the right decision for me...my academic opinions are still there and they will no doubt surface sometimes since they are such a part of who I am...but for now, my academic life will still take a backseat to all the rest.  As a writing teacher, however, I would be remiss to not mention that daily writing has and will make me an even better writing teacher...duh...

8.  And last but definitely the most important unexpected benefit of blogging so far has been a strengthening of my faith...the only way I know how to explain this is that spending time (in person or online, directly or indirectly) with others who believe and live their lives getting through the same daily struggles that I do...and learning to lean on God...has helped me.  I feel as if somehow through the great blogosphere that we are all connected...a band of believers standing together...reaching across states to be there for one another...

Who'da thunk it??

2 comments:

  1. Hey Patti,
    I am so glad that you are blogging too. It really is therapy...both to blog and read other people's blogs.
    I am going to show my girls your blog header photo. They love animals, and will think the picture is precious. We have 4 dogs and 3 cats... the cats and 2 of the dogs are inside pets. I am not an animal person!! But my children, especially my oldest love animals, so we have a houseful!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roan,

    You DO have a houseful!!

    The cats in the header are brothers. Some friends of ours invited us over to see their new kittens a few summers ago. My oldest, Kendal, had decided to adopt the "runt" of the litter sight unseen. When we got in the car to go pick up her kitten, my other 2 daughters jumped in with us. I should have known better. We came home with not 1 but 3 kittens!! Ironically, we lost Kendal's kitten a year ago...he just disappeared. We still have Uh-Oh and Beneigt though and they love each other as much as they love us ;) They sleep in a pile like the picture all the time...most of the time you can't tell which end belongs to which cat :)

    ReplyDelete