Thursday, March 18, 2010

Happy Birthday, Kendal

17 years ago today I gave birth to my first child.

I vividly remember the sound of her first cry.
All of a sudden I realized there was a new human being in the world.
Who belonged to me.
Who depended on me.
Who would look to me for support and guidance.
Who sometimes wouldn't look to me for support and guidance.
Who would expect me to hold her and make it all better.
Who would also expect me to step back and let her make her own decisions.


 
My firstborn was the beginning of a new life for me.
From the day she was born my life was no longer my own.
I don't regret it one bit.



Now we're nearing another milestone in our lives.
My firstborn is preparing for college.
I know that it will be time for me to let her go soon.
I'm not ready for that yet.
But, I'm working on it.


No matter what, she will always be mine.
I will always love her.
I will always be there to support and guide her when she needs me...
and even when she doesn't think she does.


I love you, Kendal.


 


3 comments:

  1. Girls always need their mama's... this I know as fact. To this day, I still call my mom when I'm sick because I need her to make me feel better. My hubby is pretty good, but he's sure not my mom.
    Happy Birthday Kendal (A little late, sorry)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our son is heading to college this year. It's hard to believe. It will be really hard with my other 2, too.

    Did you see that you are my winner for the Bush's Beans basket? Send me an email!

    Sandy (I emailed you last night).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey, I still need (and want) my mama too...my husband actually asked me not too long ago if and when I planned on "cutting the apron springs" any time soon ;)

    Sandy, Yay!!! A prize!! Thanks so much!! I use Bush's beans almost exclusively so I am thrilled to win! My daughter talks nonstop about all the adventures she has ahead of her...I encourage her but quietly ponder how I will handle the actual experience of her leaving. I can only think about it a little at a time ;)

    ReplyDelete