Friday, March 12, 2010

Home Sweet Home

I've been traveling to and from Oakland and San Francisco, California for four years now. 
After one more trip in April of this year, our existing grant from The Lumina Foundation will have run its course. 
Between 4 research group meetings per year, an annual 3-day Winter Conference and working as a consultant during summer week long institutes, I have logged some pretty serious frequent flier miles and know many of the hotel staff by name.
Despite all that I have learned and experienced over the last 4 years, I am not sad that it is time to change courses.  I will still be involved in the research but hopefully via more conference calls and regional meetings closer to home.

One of the things I will miss about my trips is this:


This is a picture of The Lake Merritt Room.  Guess what the room overlooks?
Surprise!
Lake Merritt!! 


I have a hard time getting any work done when we meet in here.
I'm too busy looking out of the windows.


This is Lake Merritt in Oakland, California.
The views from The Lake Merritt Room in the downtown Kaiser Bldg. are the best in the city. 
I'm not a fan of Oakland...sorry Raiders fans.
But, I am a fan of the Lake Merritt area.





One of the reasons I love the Lake Merritt area is because of the sunshine, the water, the ducks, the people walking their dogs and a beautiful but simple church where a person can go for a service in the middle of the day.  
All of these things remind me of home. 

I'm glad to be home.


1 comment: