Sunday, October 31, 2010

Weekend Cooking - Sunday, Oct. 31


I'm a little late posting today because honestly I'm worn out from the festivities!  It's a good kind of worn out...but worn out just the same. 
I love the times that our family is together...and, it's no secret that any time folks are together, food plays a pretty big part.
Thank goodness ;)

I've always done Thanksgiving at our house...it's my favorite holiday :) but besides a random Christmas party or feeding random children who happen to be at my house, I'm not a big "entertainer."
I did learn just in the last few years that if I relax, keep it simple and remember to enjoy the festivities myself, it makes for a much more memorable occasion :):)



My yougest started off yesterday morning by cleaning out the pumpkin...





She pulled out all this wonderful "ghoulosh" :)




I'd never roasted pumpking seeds before but was determined to give it a try.






After my father-in-law passed away last year less than a week before Halloween, we were invited to a party down the street from my mother-in-law.  The family was so gracious to ours as we tried to numbly carry on for the sake of all the grandchildren.
We were invited again this year to partake and I wanted to be sure to bring something special...they fed all of us last year...and wouldn't allow us to bring a thing.

I had planned for homemade cupcakes...orange flavored with white icing, chocolate sprinkles, and orange gel for decorations. 
I put my firstborn in charge of the cupcakes.




Of course when it was time for decorating, the youngest wanted in on the action again...with a little cajoling, I was able to convince my firstborn to allow the youngest to help.




I think my firstborn was pleasantly surprised when she realized her little sister wasn't going to mess everything up.





We had sprinkles all over the countertop, on the floor, in the youngest's hair...you name it, there was a sprinkle on it...but we did also manage to get some sprinkles on the cupcakes.





Take a look at my firstborn.  She took these cupcakes seriously.






She came up with the idea of writing on the cupcakes with kid-friendly sayings.






Here they are finally working together :)





Some of the finished cupcakes...






the kitty cat was my youngest's favorite






After roasting for 45 minutes with butter and salt, my pumpkin seeds were smelling up the house.

They were pretty good...I think next time I'll roast them for a little shorter time. 
Michelle at Peaceful Reader promised to share some tips...and I'm gonna hold her to that promise!






My middle child was not interested in kitchen prep today...she was in charge of costume prep...Here you can see the fruits of her labor.




And, last but not least...
My Meal Plan for this week:

Sunday - finally made PW's pot roast...got it together right after church : )

Monday - PW's Parmesan Chicken

Tuesday - Meatball Muffins - my kids' all time favorite

Wednesday - PW's Chicken Strips - my husband actually asks for these...and that's sayin' somethin' :)

Thursday - Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos - from my friend Paula over at Queen of my Castle

Friday - Slow Cooker Enchiladas - a new recipe

Saturday - Soup (please pray that the weather will cooperate)




Thanks Beth at Beth Fish Reads for hosting Weekend Cooking.  You have forced me to once again try to get it together in the kitchen :)





9 comments:

  1. Well you have a lot of stuff going on in this post. And I feel like just lifting your entire meal plan for my own family. That sounds like our kind of food.

    I wish I could reach through the screen and take those cupcakes ... they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those cupcakes and how beautifully your kids decorated them -- I'm so impressed.

    I also love that you have your meals planned for the week. I find that so difficult to do because I'm spontaneous in my food cravings.

    We do New Year's Eve and Christmas Eve and go elsewhere for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing your halloween. The cupcakes had my mouth watering. I also just finished my pumpkin seeds. i used Martha Stewart's recipes. The first batch I used canola oil and they aren't as good. the next three batches I used peanut oil as suggested and they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenners, I love to cook...and the simpler the better. My husband is a meat and mashed potatoes guy and my middle child is pickier than he is so simple is the way we go most of the time :)

    Beth, once Monday begins it's just plain chaos around here. I don't ever succeed in making every meal that is planned...stuff happens...and sometimes I just don't feel like it. My firstborn asked me just a few minutes ago if we could have the meatball muffins tomorrow night instead of Tuesday...I try organize but I also try to be flexible. :)

    Heather, I'd love to see that recipe! I'm going to try these again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cupcakes look deLISH! They wouldn't last long in my house. You guys did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patti,

    I was just thinking about how fantastically organised you are around the place, then spotted your comment to Jenners, now that sounds more like it.

    Dinner here is usually a hastily scrambled affair, made with whatever I managed to remember to take out of the freezer that morning.

    The cupcakes do look good and it was nice to see the girls eventually getting on and working together.

    I know from when my own niece's were younger,that a 5 year age gap meant that they had very little in common and still don't now they are older, although one would still defend the other to the death, if either were threatened.

    Hope you had a great Halloween

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kent Island Red, they didn't last long around here either!! I had to put them in the carrying cases and threaten so that we would have some left for the party :)

    Yvonne, oh yes, we do a lot of scrambling around as well. A plan just makes me "feel" organized ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a beautiful Halloween Weekend full of food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cupcakes and the costumes!

    I've found putting a guest or two in charge of something (say drinks or dessert) when I entertain, makes it more fun for everyone. They're happy to have a way to help, and I can relax and enjoy myself more.

    ReplyDelete