One year ago today Uh-Oh and I began blogging :)
Actually, I'm the one blogging, but he likes to hang out and keep me company.
I began blogging to create an outlet for my mind which never seems to quit...to the point of some silly panic attacks a few years ago...not really silly...especially since I've seemed to pass this anxiety on to two of my three daughters so far :(
I needed a place that was just mine...my stuff, my words, the world as I see it.
I loved blogging and reading other blogs from Day 1.
My goals for 2010 were general and not necessarily blog related...and I have to say that I have honestly made true progress on each of these goals...with much of the credit owed to this blog and my new bloggy friends:
1. Get up earlier - On weekdays I get up earlier so I can read other blogs with my first cups of coffee. Not everyday of course...I give myself a break on the weekends and I've really given myself a holiday over the holidays.
2. Leave work on time - Because of my commitment to cooking more and eating healthy I need that time in the afternoons to prepare, grocery shop, etc. Only during deadline times this past semester have I found myself falling back into my old ways of staying at work way later than I should. I have also grown as a professional through reading other teacher bloggers postings about how they handle heavy workloads, grading essays and somehow keeping an academic/literary focus in a world of non-reading and writing students.
3. Eat healthier - My entire family has embraced this goal. My kids get used to me cooking rather than going out. There are some things that just don't even taste good anymore...why would I want to eat a Sonic burger that I know is going to upset my stomach??? I've also met some incredible bloggers who like me are trying to make their lives more self-sustainable, to think about what they put into their bodies and also what is best for the environment around us and the other creatures who share our world.
4. Cook more - this goal is acquired by sticking to number 3...nothing like goals that overlap :) I enjoy cooking, even on weeknights if I've planned accordingly and it doesn't take me all night. I've learned through participating in Menu Plan Monday on several cooking blogs to plan casseroles, crock pot meals and other quick fare on week nights and leave the more elaborate meals for the weekends.
5. Go to sleep earlier - This one has been pretty easy...bc once I get tired, I'm tired. I like to have a little time by myself once everyone is settled in and I'm going to work on getting them settled a little earlier so that I'm not still up at 11 trying to get my quiet time. If I stick to a routine during the day, bedtime seems to come around quite naturally.
6. Spend wisely - This may have been my biggest accomplishment this year. With my mother's help, I paid off all my credit cards. With saving blogs I learned to organize my coupons and lists and return to smart shopping and coupon clipping. I had forgotten what a high it was to get a bargain and/or get something for FREE!
I do not have a credit card now, nor do I want one.
My blog itself has evolved since this time last year. I've pulled in more of the things I love, cooking, photography, reading, writing, traveling, my family, gardening, etc. to the point of developing a blogging routine just a couple of months ago. I like having a routine but I also being able to stray from that routine when the feeling hits me :) I don't like feeling fenced in :)
I'm still tweaking some specific blogging goals, my established routine and the final choices for Reading Challenges.
I'll fill you in on those tomorrow :)