Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Sunday Salon - February 13



After a couple of back to back whirlwind trips to Kentucky and then to San Francisco I'm slowing getting back into my routine...slowly.
I have royally gotten behind in my reading, however, and especially my book reviews...I've always wondered how book bloggers handled a backlog of reviews...now I'm experiencing it.  I have 8 Stephanie Plums to review, March by Geraldine Brooks, and Little Men by Lousia May Alcott.   Yeesh.  I'm also behind on my book club reads, War and Peace, The Good Earth and A Vindication of the Rights of Women.  I'm so behind on Vindication that my Feminist Book Club compadres have already moved on to the third book on the agenda while I'm still stuck on the 1st.  :(

The first Good Earth discussion for my Classics Book Club is tomorrow so I'm committed to catching up with it this afternoon.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, I'm also being lured by a ReadAlong of Villette over on  Unputdownables and the ReadAlong marathon going on over at  A Literary Odyssey.              
Why is it that I feel the need to keep signing up even though I'm behind on what I've committed to already??
Have I mentioned that I really LOVE ReadAlongs and Book Clubs??
I think it's because I don't have to worry so much about Spoilers.
I have a hard time keeping secrets :/

I have made some progress on my current audiobook South of Broad, thanks in part to the fact that I have to drive 1 1/2 hrs. to the nearest airport from my home :/  It is a whopper though and encompasses the life of a group of friends over several decades, so last night I tried to make some notes in order to somehow be able to keep it all together.

I got so far ahead on the Stephanie Plums because of the traveling...Stephanie Plums are fast and easy escapist reads...perfect for long flights and lonely nights in hotel rooms.
However, I am beginning to tire of Stephanie's inability to "choose between the two men in her life."  After 14 books where she doesn't seem to get any closer to making a choice...# 15 and 16 which don't promise anything different and #17 coming out this summer where still another man from Stephanie's past is coming into the picture, I don't know if I'll still be a fan by then.  Stephanie wouldn't necessarily have to marry one of these guys, but just make a decision, dangit...and then go on with her life.
Good Grief.
Halfway through February and I have yet to read anything for my Foodie or YA challenges.   I need to put Stephanie up for a while and focus on some of these.  The Hunger Games is my first YA choice and I hope to get it started sometime this week.

On top of everything else, I am absolutely over Winter.  I am tired of cold and am ready for some serious sunshine.
My garden is also calling my name.  The youngest asks me daily when it will be time.
Soon, I tell her...soon...

 Have a good week, everybody!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you about being behind with book reviews. I have a pile of books sitting next to me on my desk waiting to be talked about. I'm almost thinking of skipping a few to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope u can get some quality time with ur books this week.
    The sun is shining here today. I even have my washing out on the line.

    spring is on the way!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete