Thursday, October 6, 2011

Birfdays



I'm 43 today.
So far that doesn't bother me.
I honestly can't tell you why age doesn't bother me.
It just doesn't.

What does bother me though is the fact that I can't see as well as I used to, my shoulder has a chronic ache, my knees pop and my clothes keep getting smaller.  What the heck's up with that??

What I love about growing older is a sense of independence and strength that I absolutely did not have as a 19 year old or a 29 year old...I think it was always there but I didn't trust it...or was afraid of what other people would think...or something like that.
Now, I don't care about what other people think.
And, that, I must say, is liberating.

I wish I could pass some of that strength onto some of the young women I teach every day.
One in particular lost the love of her life and sat in class today with a glazed look in her eye.
I took her into the hall and held her in my arms.  I can't fix it.  But I sure do remember how it feels...and I remember how it felt the first time one of my own girls experienced it.
I was engaged to be married to someone else when I met the Head of My Household...I told my student this story...I was devastated at the time but can't imagine life any other way.

Of course I can see that from where I'm standing...and she can't see it at all standing on the other side of the age gap.
This is just one of the examples of how the 43 year old grass side really is a lot greener than the 19 year old grass.

I love the song "Defying Gravity" because it so perfectly describes life as I see it right now.

Welcome 43...let's see what you've got :)





8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Go get a manicure/pedicure/massage and call it a day. And all with a good book, 'course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a very happy birthday! And actually, the clothes-getting-smaller thing is due in part to gravity and changing shape rather than changing weight. But also, if you have the same situation I do, clearly someone sneaks into your closet and shrinks stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! It's so refreshing that you have a positive outlook on this day - most people are all "oh I can't believe I'm so old time passes so quickly blah blah blah." More people should think the way you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie, you read my mind!

    Rhapsody, thanks so much for reminding me about the clothes shrinkage phenomenon! Now I'll have some ice cream with my cake!

    Brenna, our birthday is the only day each year that it really is all about us! I try to take as much advantage of that as I possibly can :) Life brings us enough to be melancholy about...I believe in trying to limit the things I worry about to the things I can actually do something about...getting older ain't one of em'...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elleby from FranceOctober 7, 2011 at 3:08 AM

    Joyeux anniversaire !
    Happy birthday ! (with one day late, sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Patty. Trust me 43 is pretty darn young by my standards:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to you! I hope that you get to have a great celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! I totally agree with you how liberating it is to get older and realize that you don't care what poeple think so much anymore. I feel for your young student. I remember those first loves … they hurt like none other.

    ReplyDelete