Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Junie B. Mini Reviews



I somehow missed Junie B with my older girls.  And, I never would've picked this series for my youngest because she is a 2nd grader and Junie B. is just starting kindergarten in the first book.
Thankfully though my 2nd grader checked Junie B. out of her school library, then checked more out of our community library and then asked to buy some at Books A Million.  We've been reading them at night for a little over a week.  I read a chapter and then my youngest reads a chapter...and we laugh and laugh and laugh together :):)

Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by Barbara Park


Junie B. is off to kindergarten and is not happy about having to ride the bus.  She decides after the morning ride that she simply will not get back on the "stupid smelly bus" at the end of the day.  Junie B. hides in the janitor's closet until the frantic staff leaves for the day and spends the next several hours napping and then exploring the school after hours.

I just stayed there all bended up.  And I told myself a story.  Not an out-loud story.  I just told it inside my head.  It was called 'The Little Hiding Girl.'
I made it up.  And this is how it went.

Once upon a time there was a little hiding girl.  She was in a secret spot where nobody could find her.  Except her head was very tight.  And her brain was squishing out.
But she couldn't come out of her spot.  
Or a smelly yellow monster would get her.  
And also, some meanies with chocolate milk.
The end.



Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business



The second book in the Junie B. series finds our heroine welcoming a baby brother into her household.  Junie B. is completely caught off guard by her grandmother's comment about her baby brother being "the cutest little monkey I ever saw."  Junie B. begins collecting prizes from her friends in return for a chance to see her really truly alive baby brother...until...

Junie B. Jone! she hollered.  "Why are you wearing Grace's shoes?"
Mrs. sounded dangerous.
"Because," I said kind of scared.
"Because why?" said Mrs. 
"Because it's the rules," I explained.
Then Mrs. bended down very close to my ear.  "What rules?"
"The rules for who gets to be the first one to see my monkey brother," I said.
Mrs. rolled her eyes way back in her head.


Junie B. Jones and her Big Fat Mouth



Junie B. and her friends prepare for Jobs Day in Room 9.  What will Junie B decide to be?  A Superhero?  A  painter?  A locksmith?  Or all three put together in order to one up her friends.

I got off the bus at my corner.  Then I runned to my house speedy quick.
HELP! HELP! I'M IN BIG TROUBLE!" I yelled to Mother.  "'CAUSE I ACCIDENTALLY SHOT OFF MY BIG FAT MOUTH ON THE BUS! AND NOW I HAVE TO PAINT AND UNLOCK STUFF AND SAVE PEOPLE FROM DANGER! ONLY WHAT KIND OF STUPID DUMB JOB IS THAT?"

After accidentally finding baby Ollie's pacifier so her mom won't "lose her grip," Junie B. finally comes up with a secret job...one that will surprise her parents, her teacher and her friends...and especially the person who hold that job.  

This Junie B is funny and crazy...but also leaves you with a warm fuzzy feeling in your tummy :)

I'm 43.
And I love Junie B. Jones :):)



2 comments:

  1. Junie B. was all the rage with my son and his classmates last year. After reading a few with him, I can totally see why she is so popular … she is a real kid!! (And not the best one either.) I totally enjoyed these books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, LOVE Junie B. I don't think I've missed one of them. First, with my daughter, then with my son. I'm so glad you found her.

    ReplyDelete