Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mississippi Madness



I'm taking a break today from my usual Top Ten Tuesday to blog a little about an amendment the good citizens of Mississippi are voting on today.

Today, as we cast our vote for governor, we will also vote whether or not to amend the MS constitution with Proposition 26.  Ever heard of it?

Initiative #26 would amend the Mississippi Constitution to define the word “person” or “persons”, as those terms are used in Article III of the state constitution, to include every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning, or the functional equivalent thereof.

Proposition 26, better known as the Personhood Initiative, acknowledges that "personhood" begins at fertilization, and then that "person" has rights just like everyone else.  
Proposition 26 would outlaw abortion in MS.
Which is the sole agenda of the group of people who've managed to get enough signatures to get it put on our ballot.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that abortion in Mississippi is about as hot of an issue as you'll find anywhere. Here in the Bible Belt, you might as well pack your bags and move into Hell if you are Pro-Choice.
Because around these parts Pro-Choice means Pro-Abortion.
And a lot of voters think that a person can't be a Christian and also Pro-Choice.
Isn't that the stupidest thing??

I'm a Christian.
I believe in one God who sent His son to die for me.
I believe in free will and I believe in grace.
I believe in life.
I believe in choice.
I believe in giving to Caesar what is his...my tax money (even though I don't have to like it)
I believe in giving to God what is His...absolutely everything else...including my body.

But, the thing that really gets my goat about this issue is that Caesar (or any other government) has no right whatsoever defining when life begins!
What the you know what does that have to do with politics?????

Proposition 26 has literally split the religious groups in MS...some die hard groups see an end to abortion and that's all they can see.
Others are suspicious, as am I, about the untold consequences of passing such an amendment.

A few of the unanswered questions about this Proposition are as follows:

Will certain kinds of birth control (those that prevent a fertilized egg from implanting) be illegal?
What about rape? and the morning after pill?
What about ectopic pregnancies and other similar medical issues?
What about the legal rights of a woman and her doctor to make decisions based on what's best for hers and her baby's health?
How will Proposition 26 change the laws about IVF?

Can you believe that there is a strong possibility that this amendment will be passed given the sample unknowns above???
I'm sick about it.

I'm sick mostly because I believe the groups behind this amendment are using the people of Mississippi.
They are using religion to get what they want.
And, what makes me angrier, is that even many intelligent people in my state will fall for it.

I'm posting some little tidbits below if you're not familiar with our little mess down here...it's my blog so I'm taking the liberty of posting the NO video first...cause that's what I'm voting today.

NO!!!








Yesterday afternoon the news estimated that the yes and no votes were neck and neck.
A lot of the younger generation are voicing their opposition to this amendment...but will they get out and vote?
I sure hope so.

I'll update my blog with numbers as they start coming in tonight after the polls close for those who are interested.
  If you're the praying kind, please pray for the state of MS and its citizens.



UPDATE: EARLY REPORTS ARE DECLARING INITIATIVE 26 DEFEATED...I'M WAITING UNTIL ALL PRECINCTS ARE IN BEFORE I RELAX...


IT'S OFFICIAL...ALL PRECINCTS ARE IN AND VOTES ARE COUNTED.  26 WAS NOT VOTED IN...HOWEVER, A HOST OF HURT FEELINGS AND MISUNDERSTANDINGS HAVE BEEN LEFT IN THE WAKE OF THIS OUTSIDE GROUP WHO TRIED TO (AND MAY WELL HAVE SUCCEEDED IN) DIVIDING THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI...


4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's scary stuff. Abortion is pretty much a non-issue here in the UK, certainly not important enough to be something people campaign on, especially as we're a secular bunch. I hope the no campaign wins....let us know the result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be following your blog tonight to see how this plays out down there.

    I find this scary and disturbing. Even here in the north it's hard to convince people you can be a Christian and pro-choice.

    Taking it to the extreme; if a woman has trouble in child birth and dies, is the child a murderer under this idea? After all, she had the right to live. (it makes about as much sense)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Texas so I can see something like that being successful here. Honestly, I'm tired of politics dividing this nation. I really hate when people use religion to try to force people to think or act the same way. It makes me sad because that's not what faith is to me. I hope that there aren't too many hurt feelings and I hope the people in Mississippi can rebound. But I really wish people were more understanding that people have different life situations and must be able to make their own life choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can think of right now is that I hope there aren't any riots or any form of violence that occurs in MS during this time.

    ReplyDelete