Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday at the Movies - The Devil Wears Prada


Every once in a while a movie comes along that is better than its book...every. once. in. a. while.
This is one.

I read this book for fun, without any expectations at all, and it was no doubt a fun read.  I usually don't see movies until they're released on DVD, and "The Devil  Wears Prada" was no exception.  But, from the first minute I sat down on the couch, I was hooked.

New York City, Paris
couture fashion
well run machine
the music
Meryl Streep...Meryl Streep...Meryl Streep
mannerisms, voice, power

I can't tell you how many times my girls and I have seen this movie...somebody always gets it out when it's least expected and plays it.  The rest of us within the first 20 minutes or so end up sitting down and watching it with whoever started it.
Minus The Head of Our Household...not exactly his kind of movie :/

The craziest thing of all is how much my 7 year old likes this movie...don't ask me why because I have no idea...but she will actually go through spells of watching it over and over and over during a weekend. She pulled it out Friday night; I was actually snoozing a little on the couch and actually turned over to watch...I do not let go of a nap lightly, let me tell you!
 I honestly don't know what the draw is for her...one day maybe I'll ask her :)
While there certainly are scenes of insinuated adult situations, there is no nudity, the language is minimal and there really isn't anything troubling at all (that I can think of right this second anyway).

The story itself is a good one as well...The characters include a successful dragon lady who sacrifices every other aspect of her life to be successful (Streep), a business full of sycophants, a young ingenue (Hathaway) who applies for a job working for the dragon lady, hoping the position will launch her into the world of big city journalism, and a respected member of the staff who takes Hathaway under his wing (Stanley Tucci).  Hathaway finally gets the dragon lady's attention and gets pulled into her lair, learning how to step on other people on her way up.  The dragon lady never lets her completely in but gives Hathaway just enough space to  encourage her even further.  

This story is not one of good vs evil, however.  It's just not that simple...it's actually an effective illustration of how what we see on the outside is very definitely not reality.  Hathaway comes to understand the dragon lady...and why she is the way she is.  The dragon lady also understands Hathaway...and why she is the way she is.  In the closing scene, I'm convinced the dragon lady understands so much more than you think she does while you're watching the movie.  

The scenery, the costumes, the fashion, the models, the lights of Paris, the look inside the world of high fashion and heaven forbid we forget the soundtrack.  The music in this movie is enough to get you pumped up about fashion...even if you think you don't care anything about it.

;)

6 comments:

  1. I've been a big fan of Anne Hathaway, ever since Princess Diaries. But as much as I love her, Meryl Streep totally stole the show on this one. Oh, and yes, the clothes! And I quite liked Emily Blunt too. I was going through my Ugly Betty phase though when I saw this, I think that's why I loved it all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I rarely watch movies, and when I do, they are usually animated! Ha! But, I have found that watching a good "grown up" movie is really enjoyable. Every now and then I will find an old, good movie on USA or something like that. I recently watched The Rainmaker (another good movie from book), while running on my treadmill. I am going to look for The Devil Wears Prada at Redbox.....I will probably watch it on the treadmill.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie, too! I used it in my Lit and Film class this past term, and we paired it with a documentary. The documentary is one I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND (ahem!). It's called The September Issue and chronicles the higher-ups at American Vogue including Anna Wintour (upon whom Meryl Streep's dragon lady is based). You may know all of this already, but definitely try the documentary if you get the chance. It's funny and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe your 7-year-old likes this! How funny. I actually liked the book better than the movie for this one.

    ReplyDelete