Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings



It's no secret this is my favorite meme...I love participating as much as I love reading everyone else's lists.  
But, this week's Top 10 is my favorite list of the entire year...it's not the easiest, considering I have almost 600 books on my Amazon WishList :/ but it's still fun! 

Dear Santa, 
I know that I really don't need any more books...but you know how wonderful they make me feel :)  I had a difficult time narrowing my list of 600 to 10 but I did it!!!  What do you think about these selections?? 



1.  The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides


I haven't read anything by Eugenides and plan to take care of that problem asap!  I've heard so many good things about this novel since even before it was  officially released.  

2.  Nighwoods by Charles Frazier



I just finished reading Cold Mountain with my students and loved it.  I loved the story steeped in history and description.  I'm determined to read all of Frazier's novels...lucky for me he has a new one :)


3.  The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason


I've been a fan of Bobbie Ann Mason ever since I read her YA classic In Country.  I can't say enough about her writing and can't wait to dig into this one.



4.  Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward 




I'm all over anything that has to do with my home state Mississippi...Ward's new book is the talk of Indie bookstores all over our state so I MUST have this one.


5.  The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

This is my peer pressure selection on the list.  Just by reading the synopsis, this is not a book I would usually pick up...but blogger after blogger, whose opinions I trust have given Morgenstern rave reviews.  I can't stand not having an opinion, so what else can a gal do??  


6.  Joan Didion's Blue Nights 




I know this one will be sad...I meant to read Didion's first novel after her husband's death...how in the world has this resilient woman lived through now the loss of her child.  Writing.  That's all I can figure.



7.  Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson



Review after review has Jobs pegged as a complete total jerk...but at the same time...a genius.  I've always heard there's a fine line between genius and insanity...Jobs may very well be an iconic example of that very premise.  



8.  Hemingway's Boat by Paul Hendrickson



Another genius...alcoholic...sometimes happy, sometimes distraught...but a writer whose novels have withstood generation after generation.  A must have.


9.  Catherine the Great by Robert Massie 


I am constantly reminded that to be a feminist today is NOTHING compared to what women like Catherine the Great, Elizabeth I, etc. had to deal with during their lifetimes.  To be GREAT during times where women were expected to be anything but...is just astonishing.



10.  Food Rules by Michael Pollan




The more I read by Pollan and others like him, the easier it is for me to make healthier choices for my family and my life.


Dear Santa, I usually follow the rules of this meme, but I realized after I'd made my list that there's a book that I desperately need that's not on the list.  I tried very hard to remove one of the original 10 and replace it with this one...but then I decided to let you do that ;)

11.  Honorable Mention - can't believe I forgot this one...of all books to forget :/

Rin Tin Tin by Susan Orlean



I'm sure I don't have to explain this one :):)


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the ladies @ The Broke and the Bookish.

13 comments:

  1. What a great list! Some I have, some are on my iPod, and some I've been waiting for from the library forever. I actually put off The Night Circus BECAUSE there were so many reviews. I hope Santa sees this list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohh great list! I loved Nightwoods. And Blue Nights looks like it will be really good, too. Joan Didion is such a fabulous writer. I hope Santa comes through ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh a nice wishlist! Hope Santa will listen it and bring them to you :)

    PS: Your cat looks like mine!! Although mine is more fat :P I love black cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a comment about pretty much every book on this list! The Marriage Plot is GREAT. I loved Cold Mountain too and would love to try more books by Frazier. I got Food Rules for my dad for Christmas! He loves Maira Kalman's illustartions.

    All your other choices are awesome too! Such a great list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list!! I only asked for two books this year (yes, family, I really DO want books!), and Night Circus was on the list. If I had known that Frazier was out with a new book that would have been on the list, too. Loved Cold Mountain and enjoyed Thirteen Moons.

    Hope Santa brings you a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Santa brings you everything you want … you've made it very easy for him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. EXCELLENT choices! I see so many books here I want to get my grubby little paws on. And I hope you love The Night Circus as much as I did (though the hype monster is a vicious beast).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Santa,

    I'd love anything on this list!

    Take care,
    Deb Nance at Readerbuzz

    Here's my Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great choices. Salvage the Bones was a great read and so was The Night Circus. I have Food Rules, but now I wish I had waited to get the one with the awesome Maira Kalman illustrations. Hope you have a happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw Catherine the Great at the store recently.. looks good!! I got Nightwoods as part of a blogger meet-up goodie bag and hadn't heard of it till then but it looks really good!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Michele | Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  11. I copped out and bought The Night Circus instead of putting it on my Xmas list, and then I didn't end up reading it. Bad move Trisha. Bad move. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Night Circus is good, and The Marriage Plot is GREAT! So I hope you get them and tell us all your opinions on them :). Also, I'm secretly hoping someone will get me the Steve Jobs biography. even though I haven't told anyone I want it, just because its the kind of thing they should know I'd want!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great list, and a few of the books you chose are on my list as well. I can't wait to hear if these books arrive under the tree for you! I hope Santa is reading today!

    ReplyDelete