Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Virtual Advent Tour - Thursday, Dec. 8



The Thanksgiving and Christmas season has always meant family and tradition to me.  From the ornaments we hang on our tree to the cookies we bake, there's usually a sentimental reason behind everything we do.  For last year's Virtual Advent Tour I shared some examples of the types of ornaments that are on our tree here.  As I thought about what I might share this year, I decided to share our newest tradition inspired by our new addiction to Pinterest :)  

Requested by my oldest daughter, we decided to wrap up all of our Christmas movies and books.  They are all under the tree, and for each day of advent, we choose one of each, one book and one movie.  No peeking is allowed, and so far we have been happily surprised at our selections.  My youngest, of course, has enjoyed the children's books the most; she's been able to persuade a different family member to read to her each night.  We have all enjoyed the movies though, and many nights we end up enjoying them all together, so I decided for this year that I would share with you what we have watched so far :)


On Nov. 30 my youngest unwrapped the original "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" on VHS (remember those?) 


I have memories of this one from my own childhood...back in the days of catching it the one time each year that it was broadcast on television :)
I used to feel so sorry for the little dog Max...especially when the grinch made him drag all that stuff up the mountain.
Yes, I've been an animal lover all my life.
And, the song...who could forget that catchy song??


We all enjoyed this one.

On Dec. 1 the youngest picked out "A Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott.




I've seen many versions of this classic tale and usually enjoy them all.  Last year I actually read Dickens for the very first time and loved it even more (of course).  The youngest, however, was not impressed...round about the video below she announced, "Christmas movies aren't sposed to be scary, Mama!" and left the room disgusted.  Needless to say, the big kids and I enjoyed this one more than anyone.






On Dec. 2 the youngest picked out an old, old, old VHS tape that belonged to her big sisters when they were just little whippersnappers.  My girls loved Spot and I did too...he was just a peaceful little creature...mostly minding his business.




If you'll fast forward this video to 4:30, you'll see the famous reindeer dance...both my older girls sang the song right along with the video...they are 17 and 18 and still remember :)







On Dec. 3 the youngest picked out the original claymation version of "The Little Drummer Boy."  This one also brings back lots of memories for me.  




This one doesn't come on as often as the others, and we'll soon have to replace this old VHS because we fought the tracking all the way through it.  I am always devastated by the injuries to the animals in this one...and it can still be a little intense I think.  No one spoke a word during this one.



On Dec. 4 I squealed when my youngest picked one of the two Little House on the Prairie Christmas movies that we own.  "The Christmas they Never Forgot" finds the Ingalls family all together again in the little house as a snowstorm sets in and strands them together overnight.  The adults sit up and tell stories of the Christmas each of them never forgot...




Yes, I'm a goober Little House on the Prairie fan ;)




On Dec. 5  after a couple of false starts with older VHS tapes that have finally given up, the youngest found "The Santa Clause 2" with Tim Allen.



This one is a more contemporary holiday movie obviously and the older girls really liked this trilogy...I like this one because Santa Clause finds Mrs. Santa Clause :)  Tim Allen is a hoot.





On Dec. 6 the youngest picked another classic..."A Charlie Brown Christmas."




Now who could ever forget the sad little Christmas tree, Lucy's obnoxiousness, the whole gang singing together at the end and of course Linus reciting the Christmas story from the gospel of Luke.  We actually watched this one twice :):)




On Dec. 7 my oldest brought home a new Christmas movie, and we all agreed to watch this one instead of choosing one from under the tree.  We knew we didn't have quite enough movies for the all 25 days of advent and were going to try and pick up a few in the discount bins along the way.  We all needed a good laugh, and boy did we get one.



This one is about family...it is not for the faint of heart...there is some language and off color humor...but it is hilarious...and SOOOOO true about family holidays.
Every single one of us sat in the living room and howled our way through this one.





And there you have it...our newest tradition so far.  I can tell you that we've loved this idea, and it has brought us together in the same room of our house during this busy time of the season for 30 minutes -2 hours each night...and that's what memories are made of.
:)

Warm and wonderful holiday wishes for all of your in the blogging world this year!

15 comments:

  1. Oh my! This is an absolutely fabulous idea! If I owned any movies I would totally think about doing this!

    Thanks so much for sharing this with us on this year's tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea for spending time together as a family! This is like getting each day a small present without spending anything. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! That is SUCH a good idea! I may have to try it out another year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! We have plenty of Christmas specials (on vhs, too!) and are watching them most nights, but I love the idea of having the choice be random. Maybe we'll consider this idea next year. (Oh, and I love that episode of Little House, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. Coincidentally as I dropped into a grade 5 class at one of my schools yesterday they were watching this Christmas episode of Little House - and loving it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great movies there - Charlie Brown is my favorite! And I love the idea of wrapping up your own books and movies and surprising yourself each day. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure your idea will be copied by many. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! What a super idea. I don't know if we have enough movies to pick one of each, but we could do one or the other . . . Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a GREAT idea and a holiday tradition I would like to start for my own family when Greyson is a wee bit older.

    Truthfully, Christmas Vacation is one of my very favorite Christmas movies. I cackle every time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new tradition! How very clever for your daughter to come up with the idea! My kids are grown and out of the house, but I'm going to suggest it to my niece who has young children to start as a tradition in her house. Great movies you have seen so far too!

    I hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your Christmas season!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of wrapping up old Christmas movies. What a clever idea! That dinner scene in Christmas Vacation cracks me up every time. I've had turkeys that were almost that dry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely tradition :)
    I had to laugh when I read your younger child's take on A Christmas Carol -- I confess to not watching that one till I was an adult because I didn't want to be scared at Christmas, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! A book and movie a day will definitely put everyone in the Christmas spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sent you an e-mail recently that needs a response; would you mind checking your spam filter? Thanks

    ReplyDelete