Sunday, December 18, 2011

Weekend Cooking - Family Fun's Cookies for Christmas and Chocolate Crinkles





When my two older daughters were very young, one of my favorite magazines each month was Family Fun...I liked the format, the ideas, the stories, the pictures, and especially the family oriented (kid oriented) recipes.  In 1998, the magazine published a small hardback book with recipes for Christmas cookies, and I had to have a copy.  That was the year my girls and I started our Christmas cookie bake marathon :)  Of course, then I was the one doing most of the baking, and they decorated whenever possible.  Each year we pull out the little book and pick what we want to make.  We don't try to make a bunch of batches in one day...we plan a recipe a day...for as long as we choose.  So far, we've made Reindeer cookies, The Gingerbread Clan, our own version of Gingerbread houses, Penny Snickerdoodles, Chocolate Crinkles, Thumbprint Cookies, Snowballs & Crescent Moons, & Peanut Butter Sealed with a Kiss.  This year the girls have requested that we add Celebration Sticks and Chocolate Pretzels to our repertoire. 
We vary our choices each year but Reindeer Cookies, Penny Snickerdoodles, Thumbprint Cookies and Crescent Moons make the list every. single. year.  

Last year I couldn't find the little book, and I was so disappointed.  It's not that the book itself is that important to me; it's the memories that book brings back each year.  Fortunately, about March, I found the book!  It was on the shelf amongst my other cookbooks. It's such a slim volume that I guess I just scanned right past it.  I was also sure I had packed the book away in the Christmas boxes so I looked there most of all.  Whew!!

We've made our Reindeer cookies, Penny Snickerdoodles, and Chocolate Crinkles so far this year.  For this week's Weekend Cooking, I decided to share our Chocolate Crinkles :) 


For this recipe the dough must be made at least 2 hours before you want to cook.  We made the dough last night and actually made the cookies this afternoon after church.  In the above picture, my youngest is rolling the dough into balls.  The dough is that hunk of chocolate stuff on the right. 





Here she's rolling the dough balls into powdered sugar.






And here my middle child decided to help as well.






If you don't like chocolate or you don't like powdered sugar all over your kitchen counter, this is probably not the cookie recipe for you. ;)
I don't freak out over stuff like that though.







Even Layla enjoyed cleaning up the powdered sugar that fell to the floor :):)







You don't flatten these cookie dough balls...they flatten themselves as they cook, forming the crinkly look you see in this photo.  Obviously that's why these are called Chocolate Crinkles.






These cookies are a fluffy chocolaty cross between a double chocolate chip cookie and a brownie...melt in your mouth goodness. 


Here's the recipe: 

3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla 
1 6-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/4 cups)
confectioners' sugar for dusting (about 3/4 cup)

In a large bowl, mix the melted butter with the cocoa powder and sugar until well combined.  In a medium-size bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and vanilla into the chocolate mixture.  Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours or overnight.  
Preheat the oven to 350.  Roll the dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter.  Pour the confectioners' sugar on a plate or in a shallow bowl; then roll each ball in the sugar. 
Place the balls on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between them (they will flatten and spread).  Bake for 12 minutes, or until the cookies are set.  Lay the baking sheet on a wire rack and cool for about 5 minutes; dust with more confectioners' sugar if desired.  Transfer the cookies to racks to cool thoroughly.  Makes 25-35 cookies.



Weekend Cooking is hosted by Candace @ Beth Fish Reads.

11 comments:

  1. I always love to read about family traditions like this. What a fun way to spend time with your girls. I can only imagine how upset you were when you couldn't find your special cookbook, so I'm glad it showed up. These cookies look yummy, easy, and loads of fun. I never worry about ingredients flying around the kitchen. Cleanup really isn't all that difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, those look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those chocolate crinkles look delicious and I love the name Penny Snickerdoodles! I can totally empathise with losing (and finding) the book. Funnily enough my post has a similar story, but mine was lost for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these a few times with my kids. We loved them! Glad you found the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Layla is just too cute with that powdered sugar nose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the pics of your girls making cookies! Yes dogs come in so handy don't they? I straddle one all the time in the kitchen! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos, and the cookies look delicious :)

    I'll always remember baking with my Mum every Christmas when I was younger. We would make a traditional Christmas cake every year and then I would be in charge of all the marzipan decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Chrsitmas cookie bake marathon sounds like fun. And the chocolate crinkles look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the pictures of your kids and dog! And the story of the book, and of course, the recipe. I've copied and pasted it into my cookie folder. Thank you!
    Oh, and that photo on your header is wonderful. Clear. Perfect. Dear kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to copy and paste recipe to try with my girls this year. We are always looking for relatively easy wonderful tasting cookies to make and then devour. I can only imagine what my black lab would look like if she were allowed to come in during the clean up after making cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cookies look delicious but the girls look like they're having a blast! We have an annual bake day with my mom every Christmas (was last Sat) and I look forward to it every year. Bet your girls will too!

    ReplyDelete