Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Top Ten Authors I Wish Would/Could Write Another Book



This week's theme at The Broke and the Bookish threw me at first...
I don't read many first time authors...not on purpose anyway...I'm sure I've read plenty but just didn't know I was reading a first time author while I was reading.  So, for this week's list I actually browsed my glass bookshelves in my antique secretary (where the special books live out their lives) to see which authors I hadn't heard much from lately.  Some of these authors are dead, so we won't be seeing anything else from them, and that made me sad.  But, some of them are alive and well...as far as I know anyway.  I've done some searching to see if those authors who are still with us have plans to publish something new...but I didn't find anything.
Please let me know if you know something I don't :)

Here's my list:


1. Stieg Larsson 


I haven't read the last book in the Girl Who trilogy because I know when I do, the story is over.  I just found Lisabeth Salander; I'm not ready to lose her yet.  I am not interested in someone else continuing Larsson's storyline...I've not seen that done well (Alexandra Ripley's Scarlett), even when the author uses notes, etc from the writer himself/herself (see the note on Cold Sassy Tree below).


2. Olive Ann Burns 

Olive Ann Burns, a native of Banks County, began her writing career as a journalist


I loved Cold Sassy Tree...it was one of those books that just made me feel at home and stayed with me for a long time.  According to Burns editor, she wanted the unfinished manuscript of Leaving Cold Sassy published after her death.  The first part of Leaving Cold Sassy is Burns writing and I loved it...but the point where Burns writing stops just left me feeling lost.  It was as if the story just stopped, as if Burns died right then.  I would have rather not read any of it than to begin reading and end up falling off a cliff.


3. Willie Morris 


Besides all of the other wonderful things Morris wrote, most folks are familiar with My Dog Skip, whether through the movie, reading the book, or both.  Less readers, however, are familiar with his homage to a cat named Spit McGee.  Spit McGee found Morris (dog lover), and Morris became a cat lover...or a Spit McGee lover anyway.  Spit McGee outlived Morris and lived out his final days in leisure.  The photo below is the actual Spit McGee resting at home several years ago before his death.  I wish Spit McGee had found Morris early in his life so we would have more feline tales from Morris to treasure.






4.  Lilian Jackson Braun 


Ms. Braun began writing her Cat Who series in 1966 and continued well into her 90's.  Her books were heartwarming little mysteries that all featured two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum :)  One could expect a tightly knit plot, some tension and even a little edge from Ms. Braun.  She will be missed.



5.  Mary Ann Shaffer - 2008


Shaffer became stranded on the Guernsey Islands in 1976, learned its fascinating history, wrote her only book, The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society, and died right before its publication in 2008.  Imagine what she would've, could've done had she been with us a little longer :(



6.  Rita Mae Brown - Sister Jane novels


I love Brown's Sneaky Pie novels, and she churns those out on a regular basis.  For some reason she doesn't publish as many of the Sister Jane Arnold's foxhunting mysteries set in Crozet, Virginia.  The last one was published in 2009, and I'm ready for the next one!





7.  John Grisham 




Before you spew your coffee, let me explain myself...I'm exhausted with everyday Grisham...I don't even read his mystery/lawyer stuff anymore...I reached a point where I couldn't remember what happened in which story :(  But, he has only written one like The Painted House...only 1.  Please, please, please Grisham, slow down, dig down deep inside yourself and write another like The Painted House.  Please.





8.  Elizabeth Kostova  



Kostova grabbed my attention with The Historian (2009) and Swan Thieves (2010)...but hasn't published anything since then.  I know her stories require a ton of research, so I'm going to try and give her a little more time...if I just knew for sure she was working on something, I could relax a little.  Oy.



9.  Harper Lee  



I suspect Lee will make many lists today for a variety of reasons.  To Kill a Mockingbird touched me as much as most readers, but most importantly, it touched my reluctant reader.  She read, studied, re-read, bought the movie, re-read and studied it some more.  I didn't dare say much since that's usually the perfect way to get her to stop reading.  I recommended several after that to my middle daughter, but none of them stuck.  Lee touched something in my middle daughter that no author has before or since...why oh why couldn't she have written more????



10.  Jeannette Walls  


The Glass Castle touched my heart in so many ways...and the audiobook, narrated by Walls herself, made me hyperventilate a time or two.  Half Broke Horses (2010) came pretty quickly after The Glass Castle, but we've not had anything since.  Please Jeannette, give us more! 


I'm a little sad after this list.  I miss some of these writers...almost like losing a family member...yet the idea that books and their authors touch our lives is reinforced again by the melancholy I feel now.  
I'll keep my fingers crossed for these other authors...
:)

27 comments:

  1. It's so crazy that Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird is her only work -- and it's one of the first novels I remember really touching me, too! I read it as a freshman in high school and realized there was a whole world of reading out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list!  I loved the book Cold  Sassy Tree and would have loved to read another book by Burns too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, really great list -- varied and interesting!  I've seen Harper Lee on a few, and I was stunned to see Grisham but I appreciate your comments about this specific novel (which I've never heard of).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what I hoped would happen to my daughter...so far, not yet.  She has not been impressed with much of anything else she has read in school :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cold Sassy Tree will be one of my favorites for the rest of my life...but I got rid of Leaving Cold Sassy...it just made me sad every time I looked at it on the shelf.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it makes me even more irritated to know that he can write a book like The Painted House but chooses to write so much of that other stuff.   I used to be a Grisham fan...until about the 7th book...yawn...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choices here! Some of them almost  made my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My secret dream is that Harper Lee has actually been secretly writing all these years, and when she dies we'll have a whole load of new, amazing books to read! I kind of think that's not going to happen, but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harper Lee would be at the top of my list! It's amazing to think that she wrote such a classic, but it's her only book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is sad to think of authors who are now gone and won't be able to write any more books for us to enjoy. And it always amazes me when an author writes only one book -- and it is such a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that Harper Lee and Steig Larsson might show up on a lot of these lists.  I haven't really read any others on your list, although Kostova has been on my TBR for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This week's list was hard for me...I need to pay attention to more first time authors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your dream comes true, Laura...I know a lot of people who would be thrilled!! 

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is truly amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It really made me sad by the end of the list...there are more of them than I realized that only wrote one or two (or three like Larsson) and then were gone.  

    ReplyDelete
  16. I probably would have never picked up Kostova if it hadn't been for a ReadAlong over at Coffee and a Book Chick.  I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have only ever heard of 10, 9, and 7! Thanks for sharing thoughts on seven authors I don't know. I've got a lot to learn - ha! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. For me it's Anne McCaffrey, who died about a month ago. She's one of my favorite authors of all time, and I would have loved to have read any new book written solely by her (she co-wrote some in later years and it just wasn't the same).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I felt the same way about that book - it was so sad when it came to an end!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jillian, it always seems there are more books/authors than hours in the day, doesn't it?  I think you'd like Kostova...her books read like classics to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. While I'm familiar with McCaffrey, I've never read any of her work.  I do remember when she died recently though.  
    I wish authors wouldn't do the co-writing thing...do you know of a book where it's as good as the author on his/her own?  I can't think of one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The story just stopped.  I felt like Burns died right there on that page.  I didn't like that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mindee OurfrontdoorJanuary 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

    What a great topic!  I liked John Grisham's Bleacher too - another one out of his usual genre.  I have to say though that his first book, A Time To Kill is on my list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved A Time to Kill, Mindee...so much that I couldn't love the movie.  I've never read Bleachers though...I think I had quit reading Grisham by then.   My husband has read it though. 

    ReplyDelete
  25. So many interesting authors I have never heard of before!!! I do wish that Harper Lee had more than one book! And though I do not read much of Grisham anymore, it would be nice to see something new by him. Thank you for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great choices! I could get onboard with a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't believe Stieg Larsson didn't even cross my mind! I do wonder if his partner really does have the manuscript to a 4th book... *sigh*

    What did you think of Swan Thieves? I liked The Historian but haven't had a chance to pick up her second book.

    ReplyDelete