Monday, February 13, 2012

Media Monday - I Don't Know How She Does It

The other day at work my friend/sister Missie asked me if I had ever seen the movie "I Don't Know How She Does It" with Sarah Jessica Parker.  When I told her I hadn't, she told me that I had to see it because all the way through the movie all she could think about was me.  

She then began to describe this happily married with children working mom who tries her best to handle everything for everybody and somehow still keep all her balls in the air.  She is organized but not ahead on anything...she knows what has to be done and does it fairly well but flies by the seat of her pants while keeping the juggling act going.  Missie also specifically mentioned how SJ Parker's character Kate shows up to work dressed well with hair in ponytail and sometime foreign substances on her lapel ;) 

I was intrigued no doubt, so I downloaded it from Amazon Instant Video which is now my favorite Video service, topping Netflix by miles.  I was so tickled as I watched this movie...for one, Missie was right...Kate reminds me of myself...there's one scene in particular where Kate is standing in her closet looking for something to wear...she picks up a blouse, looks for stains, food, etc. and then triumphantly exclaims something like, "Oh my God! It's clean! I have something to wear!!" 
Um, yes, what's clean generally does guide my wardrobe selection from day to day.
And, yes indeedy, I do show up from time to time with foreign substances or even dog hair...I have a lot of black in my wardrobe and my dogs have white hair...Oy.  I've since bought some of those rolly thingies that roll that hair right off my clothes...there's one in the house, my car and even in my office drawer :)

The other aspect of this movie that kept jumping out at me is that Kate is a loveable character, no matter how crazy she drives some of those around her.  Missie is my Mo Mo (if you've seen the movie, you'll know that Mo Mo is Kate's ultra organized, all business sidekick)...and even though they are opposites, they are a dream team!! Missie's new nickname is Mo Mo...I plan to begin using that moniker tomorrow morning :)

This is a fun movie for a working moms...I'll probably purchase this one and keep it for one of those nights that I'm feeling down about letting some ball drop somewhere.  This one's a happy, feel good about yourself even if your not perfect kinda movie :) 




11 comments:

  1. This sounds like the kind of movie that I can relate to as well. Glad that you had so much fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear your opinion on this movie. I have been thinking of looking for it and now I definitely will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the book, which was sort of a sad read for me. Being a working mom, it really hit the nail on the head. Women have to be all things... successful in business and at home and balance is always so elusive. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all working moms can see at least a little of themselves in Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's worth it, Paula! Go get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ti, I broke my reading the book first law on this one since Missie was so adamant that I watch it...I have to admit that it made me somewhat sad at times too...in order to be successful, Kate had to choose.  When she chose her job (which she loved), it was as if she was neglecting her kids.  Men, however, tend to choose all the time, and they're just doing what's expected of them.  I've had to choose many times myself and I don't regret any of those choices...but why did I have to choose??  I also drop balls way more than Kate did in this movie...but I've learned slowly that dropping balls doesn't make me a bad mom, person or teacher.  It just means I'm human.  

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a mom. Or a wife, though I'd like to have someone in my life, even if it means more juggling. But this movie looks like a good combination of sad, sweet, fun, and funny. I hadn't heard of it, so thanks. I'll probably check it out on amazon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing a preview for this movie when I was at the movies with my son (seeing a kid's movie) and he was all confused about why they were previewing it at "his" movie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a good one for sure, Jenn...I like the way they handled the family element...loving your family doesn't mean you're soft :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! Of course! I had never even heard of it before Missie told me about it.  That surprised me since SJ Parker was in a lead role.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a new mom who works outside of the house (and am gone for 10 hours a day), I think I can probably relate to this movie! Just last week I was so excited to be able to wear my skinny jeans to work on Friday that I totally forgot that I had smashed peas from feeding my daughter on my leg from a few days before. Oops! ;)

    Plus love SJP.

    ReplyDelete