Monday, June 18, 2012

Media Monday - I have a confession to make...

Since the HBO original show True Blood began, I have been a fan.



That's not my confession.

I had read all of the Charlaine Harris books published before the tv series began and have read all of the rest of them up to this point, so watching the series before reading the books is not my confession either.

How I watched the series up till this season is my confession.

Ahem, My name is Patti and I watched an illegal download or two.
I couldn't stand it; I had to see it.  I couldn't stand it that the show aired and everybody else was talking about stuff I knew nothing about.  Absolutely could not stand it.



I couldn't live with my thievery anymore so guess what I did 2 weeks ago before the Season 5 premiere aired on Sunday, June 5??
I ordered HBO.
Yep, they got me.
I gave into the peer pressure and the taunting of my other friends who have had HBO from the beginning as well as the media marketing trap so well done by the folks at HBO.
Oy.



Should you read the books before watching the series? Um, yes...duh.  What did you expect me to say??




Do you have to in order to understand what's going on?  I think you need some background before jumping into Season 5, but there are enough differences between the books and tv series, that after the first couple of books, the series became pretty much its own entity.

You don't really need a synopsis...vampires, blood, werewolves, shape shifters, fairies, gory stuff, language...sex...violence...this series is on HBO for a reason, people.  But, it's edgy and addictive if you like dark stories and very very handsome leading men...and handsome doesn't even begin to cover it.


My personal favorite...Stephen Moyer as Bill Compton...


An incredibly close 2nd favorite...Alexander Skarsgard as Eric Northman



And, of course the woman they both want...the kick butt heroine with the funny name, Sookie.


The love triangle...Eric, Sookie, and Bill...




A triangle made even more intriguing since Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer are married in real life and expecting their first child!  :)

ok, nuff said...
Get HBO
Watch this series with  me.




11 comments:

  1. You know... I've been a fan of Vampire stuff all my life.. Anne Rice's Lestat, Twilight, Vampire Diaries even! But... for some reason I have never watched This series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is more Anne Rice than Twilight or even TVD...you should give it a shot, Karen...I bet you'd like it!

      Delete
  2. I've never seen the series but someone recently told me Anna Paquin's accent drives them crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty picky about accents...and I think she does a great job. Now, a Louisiana (setting for the show) accent is different from a Mississippi (where I live) accent, so I wouldn't know from that standpoint. Stephen Moyer's accent can sometimes grate on my nerves but he's supposed to be an old Civil War vampire...talks very slow with a heavy drawl. In real life he's British so I'm sure it's more difficult for him?

      Delete
  3. We got rid of cable and now I miss my True Blood so much! And HBO waits forever and a year to put their shows on dvd. How will I survive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Brooke...I honestly don't know :(

      Delete
  4. I love the books and show too. I have to admit to thinking that last series was a bit silly though - hope this one is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 2 least favorite storylines have been the maenad and then all the fairy stuff. I think we're going to see more action this season...vampire politics...should keep us on our toes! :)

      Delete
  5. I have been meaning to watch this show for a while, I have heard so much about it. I think I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead, Anne! You'll probably end up just as addicted as I am! :)

      Delete
  6. I am genuinely in love with basically everyone in the whole show. Boys AND girls. They're all so pretty! (Skargard is my absolute favourite though. Always Skarsgard.) So, I live in the UK and I think the seasons air here about... 6 months after the US, so guess who still watches it online..? Which I don't feel bad about because I buy the DVDs, AND I would totally get HBO if I lived in the US! So it's all ok. Probably. Ahem.

    Anyway, yeah, this is my favourite! I also kiind of agree with reading the books first, but only in that I think if you watch the TV show first, the books are going to feel... not as good. Cause, like, this is what happened to me, although I do still enjoy the books, just not quite as much (no naked Skarsgard, for a start!)

    ReplyDelete