Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Youngest vs. The Evil Stomach Virus

On Sunday morning, while still in Memphis, my mom called around 6 a.m. to say our youngest was throwing up.  The husband and I got up, got dressed and drove the hour or so to my mom's house to relieve my mom and middle daughter who'd actually been up with the youngest since around 3 a.m. 

While I hate being sick, and a stomach virus is the ultimate in misery, I'd take it any day, all day if I could take it away from one of my kids...especially the little one.
While I don't want to gross anybody out, let's just suffice to say that this evil virus has attacked all the youngest's ins, outs and all abouts.  Go ahead and imagine all that happening at the same time.  
I'll wait while you go take a Dramamine and spray Lysol all over your house.

With some help from a friendly small town pharmacist, we were able to get some dissolvable nausea/vomiting meds to try and ease the youngest's suffering.  Each time we gave her one, we'd count the minutes between meds and the next retching incident (and I mean retching, people), hoping at least some of the meds would be absorbed enough to help her.  

We caught a break around 4 p.m. and loaded her up in the backseat of our car, complete with blankets, pillows, bucket, washrags, etc. and drove the 4 hours it takes us to get home.
Miraculously, after only one close call, no vomiting took place in the car.
Small miracles are greatly appreciated by this mom.

After arriving at home, around 10 p.m. the youngest requested ginger ale, so I gave her some with instructions to take it one sip at a time.  I knew this was progress and was relieved enough to leave her side and start the mountain of wash we had accumulated since the beginnings of this plague...my mom had been steadily washing, but I have a paranoia when it comes to germs...EVERYTHING must be washed again and daily until the germs have been annihilated.
Yes, I'm a little OCD; why do you ask?

Unfortunately, in her dying of thirst state, my youngest convinced one of the teenagers to bring her the ginger ale and drank it too fast.  
She called for me when she became nauseous again, and I was standing right in front of her, trying to figure out why the nausea was coming back with such ferocity when the lid blew open and Exorcist style projectile vomiting began...and yes, I was right there to catch it all.
Oy.
Only then did the culprits admit that they gave her the ginger ale while I wasn't looking.
Oy again.
You know it's been a bad day when you're just thankful that the vomit is made of gingerale.
:/
While I showered, the youngest partook of a long soak in our bathtub with whirlpool jets running and actually began playing with some of her toys.  I didn't have any toys to play with in the shower...I was just thankful for the hot water, shampoo, and soap.

Yesterday (Monday) was a better day with the youngest either in bed or on the couch, depending on what I was washing at the time, watching Full House and Brady Bunch DVDs.  
Can I get an Amen for DVDs of 70's and 80's sitcoms that were actually made with kids in mind? 
She has lost her taste for gingerale as you can imagine, so it was ice chips or ice water all day yesterday and finally around 9:30 p.m. she asked for something a little more substantial.  I made some chicken broth, helped her sit up and eat it and then she went to sleep for the night.  

She's sleeping this morning after waking a couple of times to go to the bathroom and saying that the nausea was back.  I'm sure her delicate tummy is trying to decide what to do with the chicken broth, not to mention the weakness from no food for 2 days, so I suggested she close her eyes and sleep more.  
And, that's where we are right now.



Yes, that's the youngest's loyal protector Layla at her feet, keeping watch for any more germs that try to attack her girl :) 



18 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, it's so hard when your kids are sick, and it sounds like she was really, really sick! I will be thinking of you guys today, and praying for recovery for your little one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We finally got some relief early yesterday evening. She began nibbling some crackers and getting her strength back. I hope she's hopping all over the house today :)

      Delete
  2. Stomach bugs are the worst!!! When my son gets sick, it always goes the stomach route before he gets over it. It's often the last stage for him, but the worst stage. When it comes out both ends... all you can do is point each end to the right thing and hope it makes it in. Ugh! Or...Oy...as you say.

    I sure hope she feels better. The only thing that helps is no food and sleep with ice chips in between. Even if she feels better, she needs to be food free for a full 24 hrs to give her tummy a rest. It's hard, cause they want to eat and then us moms think they are getting better but no! The tummy is tricky and we have to stand firm.

    Poor thing! Poor you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably the hardest thing, Ti...bc once the hunger sets in, they think they're starving. She asked me last night before bed if I thought she could have some french fries and milk today. I said, "Absolutely not!" I can only imagine the result!

      Delete
  3. OH yuck, stomach bugs really are awful... hoping she's feeling better already and no one else comes down with it!! Gatorade and ice pops help too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom found some pedialyte pops...those are pretty cool bc after a while I start worrying about dehydration. She dehydrated a few years ago with one of these bugs and spent a few days in the hospital. :p

      Delete
  4. Wasn't she just sick not long ago? Poor thing! Layla has been doing overtime with the little one. Stomach bugs are just awful. I'm hoping that the worst has passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sandy, she was! Some summer, huh? The last time was high fever, sore throat, etc. Layla says she's gonna start sending me a bill ;)

      Delete
  5. Poor poor baby girl and her poor poor parents. Stomach bugs for kids and adults are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a helpless feeling to not be able to just "fix" it, Diane. I HATE to be sick like this...you just feel like your body is taking over and you have no control. I know that's the way my youngest feels too...but she's too little to completely understand any of it. :(

      Delete
  6. Oh .... poor baby!! It is miserable to feel that awful .. and it isn't any fun for mom and dad either. I hope it goes away quickly and that everyone else in the house is spared this evilness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, Jenners, the rest of us are all ok...keep your fingers crossed.

      Delete
  7. Awww, poor sweetpea! Stomach upsets are the bane of childhood, I think - so many of my worst memories of being a kid (and my parents' most vivid ones too) seem to come from being horribly sick, it's miserable for everyone in the family! Hope she's feeling stronger and happier soon, and that you all get some hard-earned rest when it's over! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stomach viruses are THE WORST! I am so sorry, and of course I can so relate!
    I just said a prayer that it doesn't pass through your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roan, as we seem to be headed toward wellness this morning, the spread of the "disease" is exactly what's on my mind as I continue to scrub and disinfect everything over and over again :( So far, nothing. Thanks for the prayers :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, that sounds like a really bad virus. And I'm with you about washing everything again and again, along with a new toothbrush for everyone in the house and the burning of incense or string to keep the smell of sick from lingering. And yes, I am also OCD, but what led you to ask that?

    Gentle hugs to all,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Toothbrushes already chucked...I keep unopened packages of them and have been known to replace everyone's toothbrushes for even smaller ailments than this ;)

      Delete