Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday Salon - The Birthday and Tired Teacher Edition


Happy Birthday, Whitney!! :)

My middle daughter is 18 years old today...she's a freshman in college and has taken to it like a duck to water...or a cat to cream...or a fish to swimming...etc.  You know what I mean.  I honestly felt pretty sure she would blossom once she left high school, and so far, so good :) 


Please forgive me for taking a picture of a picture.  There was really no way around it in order to keep from tearing the picture...and that I won't do.
This was the first time I was able to hold my little snookums outside of the nursery without the little oxygen hose.  She was born a little early and needed some extra help breathing for the first few days.  Notice the serious look on my face; I was determined to make her better.  This is probably the day that my intense Mama Bear instinct was born.  You know...the "touch my cub and I'll eat you" instinct :/


My Whitney is a special kid...she cares deeply about everything and everybody...wants the world to be a perfect place...and wants to do everything.  She refuses to do anything halfway and has become our family's own personal IT person :)  She's working part-time for the IT dept. at our school and my closest colleagues have wasted no time in calling her our little group's personal student worker with priority work orders of course, sent directly through her rather than all the pesky middlemen :) 
Whitney loves every minute of it.  

18 years ago today, my little Whit made her dramatic entrance into the world...a little early...hence the drama. With her trademark dimples, she has charmed us since day 1 and now has embraced college with her natural confidence and street smarts. We love you, Whitney. There's not a daughter in this world with your wit, your sensitivity, your unconditional love, your expectations of the world and those around you, and the ability to bounce back when things maybe don't go just as you planned them. Mama Bear is proud of you and standing nearby as you make your way in this world. I love you! 

Schedule/Schmedule
It always amazes me how much wind the first week of school can knock out of me.  
I thought it would be better after taking some much needed time off this summer...but it wasn't. 
I've done a lot of napping this weekend as well as some reading and cleaning up around the house.  The youngest switched rooms with the oldest (who actually lives in the dorm now and doesn't know yet that we moved her stuff...gulp), and we've been trying to clean out unwanted things in the closets that seem to just keep getting pushed further and further back.  
Oy.
The closet job is a doozy...is not finished...and will probably not be finished for a few more days.  You should see the hallway on our daughters' side of the house.
Did I say Oy yet?
Oh well...Oy again then.
One of the worst parts of the first week that we're all back in school at the same time is figuring out the morning routine.  I had planned to be up at 6, but by Thursday it was apparent that 5:30 was necessary.  By Friday, I was actually contemplating setting my alarm at 5 a.m.  Parking is terrible on our campus; faculty doesn't have reserved parking so we fight for spots just like everybody else.  The first day of school was also the regularly scheduled day for the school's board meeting.  I work in the building where the board meets, so half of our parking lot was reserved for the board.  Did I also mention it was raining?  
I might try 5:15 tomorrow...I just don't know if I can handle 5 a.m. :p

Classes 
My favorite place at work, however, is in class with my students.  Really.
Our classes are large...ahem, really large...but I have a job and we're fighting this terrible economy just like everyone else.  I announced to my Comp II students on Friday that we would be doing an election special research project this semester.  I always do something like this during the fall semester of a presidential election year.  We'll be finished with the final research paper before the election so hopefully we'll learn a few things about our candidates and make some evidence based decisions on who to vote for.  
I swear I have no idea which side I'm on.  Honestly, I don't like either one.  But, I take my right to vote very seriously and will eventually make a decision which way to vote.  I've been very honest with my students about my feelings and have told them we may have some discussions about difficult topics, but we need to learn how to have those conversations...respect everyone's point of view...and then make the best decision for each of our individual selves.  I'll let you know how it goes.

After the research project is complete, my Comp II students will be reading Marcus Zusak's The Book Thief.  Can't wait!

Reading/Blogging

Last week I only managed my review of Bridget Hoida's So L.A. and my Snapshot Saturday of the youngest's first day back to school.  I have two copies of So L.A. to share with my readers so please go on over to that link and let me know if you're interested.  It's a great read...not chick-lit even though that might be your first impression...with some really deep/complicated twists.

This week I'm reviewing Laura Lippman's And When She Was Good on Wednesday, and tomorrow I'll give you my thoughts on The Hunger Games movie which I watched just last night.  I'll also announce another giveaway for Adriana Trigiani's The Shoemaker's Wife through Harper Collins on Tuesday in celebration of the paperback release.  The Shoemaker's Wife will definitely be one of my favorites of the year!

I've got some thoughts to share on audiobooks, so hopefully that will happen Thursday or Friday...I don't seem to be doing a very good job of reviewing my audiobooks an I haven't quite figured that out yet.

A pretty intense Layla story is coming up as well...reading Tom Ryan's Following Atticus helped me work through some of the issues that I found myself dealing with as a responsible German Shepherd owner in a multi-animal household and multi-family neighborhood.  I think I'm ready to share our challenges.  Depending on how/if the schedule goes this week will depend on how much time I have to write.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Naptime, people!  Gotta rest up for 5 a.m.
GULP.




4 comments:

  1. You seem to have a better attitude about it all, online moi. I am so overwhelmed, I almost have to force myself not to dwell over the new schedule, the traveling husband, and the getting up at 4:50am Monday through Thursday. I am ready for bed by 9pm. Unfortunately because of football, we eat dinner at 8:30. I have to figure all of this out or I'll have a breakdown. I'm thinking that blogging might have to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do not have a better attitude...I am kicking and screaming the whole way. And, just bc I say this is what I need to do doesn't mean that it's gonna happen :( I cannot even imagine getting up with a "4" on the clock though...there isn't enough medicine to get me through a day that begins that early ;)
      Don't have a breakdown, but don't quit blogging...you can't. Just blog when you can and don't beat yourself up about it. If you only blog once or twice a week, then that's just the way it is. The craziness won't last forever; we just both have to adjust to the new routine. When grading time rolls around, I have been known to disappear for a couple of weeks at a time. It's just real life and the way it has to be sometimes. We'll all still be here and I don't want you to go away...what will we do with your sense of humor, crazy life, reviews, etc. You never steer us wrong especially with your audiobook and movie reviews :) Just take it slow and hang in there!

      Delete
  2. Such a proud mom and for good reason. So glad she is adjusting well.

    ReplyDelete