Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday Salon



Life
Tomorrow morning at 6 a.m. Summer officially ends at our house :(
The youngest returns to school in the morning, and I return to my office to begin making preparations for the buttload of students coming my way in another week and a half.  
Yes, "buttload."
The economy has hit schools just as hard as the rest of the world, and our class sizes continue to grow.  Keep in mind that I teach English and specifically Composition, a land where Scantron tests do not exist.  
Yes, I have a job, and for that I am ever grateful because I know there are many right now who do not, but I also know the upcoming semester will be stressful, to say the least.  However, I'm going to prepare for it this time rather than get knocked off my feet by it like I did during our Spring semester (the reason I decided to take the summer off for the first time ever).  

1.  The youngest and I both do better on a schedule and with plenty of sleep.  We will be going to bed early, and rising early enough for breakfast so that we are not rushing around in the mornings.  

2.  Dog walking keeps our brains calm - I'll walk them in the mornings before the youngest gets up, and we'll walk them together once the sun isn't beating us over the head.  We owe it to ourselves and to our dogs.

3.  Flex time is one of the benefits our admin at school has offered us since things are so rotten right now.  I will continue to take my time getting there in the mornings (I've had no problems doing this so far), but will LEAVE after my classes are over.   I've created myself a little comfy home office, and I am much more relaxed there than in my school office.  I can grade papers at home electronically just as easily but with less stress at home rather than at school.

4.  I will continue to take care of MYSELF - While I still haven't met my fitness goals, I feel good.  My new eating plan is the sole reason for this, and that in itself is enough motivation to keep on what I've started.  I've found that I can let my hair down a little (as I did at the husband's 50th birthday party Friday night) and then pick right back up the next morning.  I don't feel like I've missed out on anything or that I'm being punished.  There were many things at the party I wasn't even tempted to eat.  The new Ruffles loaded baked potato chips and cream cheese with pepper jelly and Wheat Thins, however, were irresistible as was the ice cream cake :p (oh yeah, and 2 beers :)
The leftovers of all that goodness are still in my house, people, and I haven't even been tempted...well, except the ice cream cake did start calling my name last night for some reason...but I didn't answer it.  A month ago I wouldn't have had that willpower.  Seriously.

5.  For the first time ever I'm going to shut my office door while I'm there.  This doesn't mean I'm going to be unavailable to my students (truthfully, as a whole, they are not the cause of my extra stress at work; generally I am happiest when I'm in my classroom with them); the closed door will help me stay focused and keep out some of the extraneous drama and happenings that inevitably begin trickling in my door, much of which has nothing to do with me and does not need my input nor my worry.

6.  Blogging/reading will not fall by the wayside and will remain a part of my daily schedule.  I enjoy my time here and with my books.  There is no reason in the world to let something that makes me so happy get pushed away.  Realistically I know I won't be able to spend as much time online as I have been this summer, but that's ok too...I needed the marathon blogging, reading times that I've taken full advantage of over the break.  In order to keep my workload under control, I will have to cut back on some of the time I spend online.  But, that's ok.
That's what I've come up with so far...I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.

Reading/Reviewing
I've got several reviews on tap, and many more to come.  My TBR stacks don't stress me out anymore; they make me happy...there's a lot of good stuff coming up :) 

I'm still working on The Stand...a chapter a night is about all I can accomplish and still keep all the characters in place in my head.  The suspense is ratcheting up though...so we'll see if I'll be able to keep up that slow pace.  
Ben Affleck has signed on for the remake of The Stand...Natalie over @ Coffee and a Book Chick came up with an open letter to Affleck so that he will do a much better job of casting this epic than the original version did.  I haven't seen the original yet but have heard lots of negatives about it.  

Up next for me is Following Atticus for TLC Book Tours (review up Wednesday).   

On the blog last week:

Media Monday - Rizzoli and Isles

Since I failed at posting a Wordless Wednesday or a Snapshot Saturday this past week, I'll leave you today with a photo of the husband who jumped out of a perfectly good airplane to celebrate his 50th birthday last week.


My 50th is 7 years away, but I can promise you one thing...you will never see a photo like this of me :p
He had a blast though...and that's all that matters. 
Life is good :)


12 comments:

  1. You sound very focussed ahead of the start of the new academic year. I still have 4 weeks of holiday left (but remember we finished later than you) and I'm making the most of it. I don't have a bigger class like you but I'm moving into a very high pressured year group on which the whole school is judged. So I'm savouring the break :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be our last year of returning to school so early. When I was a kid, we didn't return until after Labor Day. A new law has been put into effect starting next year...we'll go back the end of August instead of the beginning...I'm assuming we'll stay longer as well though. I have to prepare for the stress or it will eat me alive :(

      Delete
  2. OMG I can't believe your youngest goes back tomorrow! Ack! My daughter starts high school in a week, and my son four days after that. Sad and not so sad. Looking forward to having the routine back in my life, but then once we are butt-deep in the middle of homework, sports, projects and crap, I wish it were summer again. Good job on the change in eating habits. It is so hard. I've resigned myself to counting calories for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both my older girls have graduated so I'm looking forward to some not so crazy school nights. There will be lots of meetings I don't have to attend anymore (booster clubs and such). I'm definitely looking forward to that! Me too, Sandy...eating healthy is more than just a diet; it's a lifestyle change.

      Delete
  3. Your plan sounds excellent and brilliant, and I really hope that you can stick to it- it sounds like it'll be the best thing for you :). Also, your daughter goes back to school so early- it's still summer guys! (in the UK they don't go back til September, so this is why it feels waaay too early to me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our school calendar changes next year and we won't be returning so early, but we've done this for quite a few years now...it is sooooo HOT this time of year and the humidity is worse than the heat. We don't buy anything fancy for back to school, just cool and comfortable is the focus at least through October :/

      Delete
  4. We never start school until around Labor Day - August seems so early, but I understand why its like that in some states where the temps are much higher typically.

    Have a great week Patti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that the new year and the resolutions that you've made for the upcoming school year turn out to be fruitful for you and your family. My kids go back to school in a few weeks, and I can't exactly say that I will miss all the daily angst, that's for sure. Some moms love summer, but for me, it can be a stressful time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny, because people without kids don't understand why we all groan when school starts but it's work for us too!! Well, you are a teacher but even as a parent, the homework kills me!

    I think your plan for the year is a good one. I know that I spend most of my free time in the evening prepping for the next day and it often upsets me since I have no free time come evening, but I'd rather do that than lose my morning work out time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you have a fantastic plan in place for the upcoming school year. I'm working full time at the media company AND teaching FIVE ONLINE CLASSES. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. The money will be superbly awesome but I might die. Must keep self on a regimented schedule of regular grading so I don't absolutely drown.

    Pray for my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry I missed this; thanks for linking to my open letter to Mr. Affleck. Man, I sure do hope he pays attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful blog for the people to entertain themselves with. The blog is very informative and a must read for the people.

    ReplyDelete