Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Top Ten Bookish Confessions :)



Love these lists over at The Broke and the Bookish each week :) I needed a silly list today as we prepare for an approaching Hurricane Isaac :p

1. I write in my books - I have all my life.  I can go back later and see what I was thinking when I read it the first time :):) Lately, though, I've learned to use post-it notes in my books.  I can make comments all I want, yet if I loan the book or give it away, I can just remove the post-its! Yay me!



2.  I'm a hoarder.  Not like those people you see on tv...yikes!  But, I really do have books in every home in my house.  There are even books in one of our bathrooms.  Seriously, the only room that does not have any books in it is the laundry room...although, now that I think about it, that would be a good place for a DIY bookshelf ;)



3. I'm one of those weird people who loves the smell of old books - stacks at college library - stress relief - When I was in graduate school, I used to escape to the stacks...sometimes I would just sit there and think.  When I'm in the stacks, I feel surrounded and protected by a large tight knit group of old friends :) 



4. I re-purchase books I've read in paperback, ebook or audiobook formats :(  Please don't tell my husband.  He doesn't say much about all my books...except when we move and there are bazillions of boxes marked "books"...but to know that not only do I buy books, but I also re-buy them would give him lifelong ammunition to use against me in future budget wars.
Shhhhhhh...what happens in the bookstore, stays in the bookstore ;)




5. I cannot, cannot watch a movie made from a book if I haven't read the book first.  If I accidentally commit this crime, I feel guilty.  Yes, I'm a little OCD; why do you ask?



6.  I'm mean to movies made from books.  I'm sorry...I'm not a mean person, but geez Louise...read the book, make the movie.  Book fans don't show up at the movie bc they want to see a different, poorly acted version.  Slapping my head.



7. I don't have many DNF's bc I feel I owe the book to read until the last page in order to give it a chance to woo me.  I also don't have many DNF's though bc I choose my books carefully.  I don't take on books I'm not sure I'll be interested in bc there are Puh-lenty that pique my interest.  



8. I'm obsessive and naive when I get involved in giveaways, I just about do my own self in...I want everyone to win...so in a package selection, I usually give it all away...then it takes me a month to get it all shipped :(



9.  I have some form or version of a variety of books with me everywhere. I. go.  I cannot waste precious reading time...even if it's just 10 minutes in the pick up line at my youngest daughter's elementary school.



10.  I have no idea how long my Amazon WishList is...I peruse it and discover "new" books all the time.
Doh!



Fun list this week!! 



17 comments:

  1. You and I have a lot in common, except for the writing in books (ack!) and the giveaway obsession. I got over that one real quick when I started blogging. I hope you all are going to be OK down there. I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually enjoying the post-it note process much more than writing in my books, Sandy, and I thought I would hate it. Isaac is much smaller than Katrina was and we are MUCH more prepared. We've been warned repeatedly about flooding and power outages, but the city agencies are better prepared as well. We have a generator and even a plug in air conditioner (my husband reminded me that we bought one of these as well - I had actually forgotten bc it is still in the box!) Keep your fingers crossed for us and anybody else this hits...and I'll stay in touch as much as possible :):)

      Delete
  2. Your confessions were wonderful -- so many I can relate to!! Since I've gotten my ereader I've been obsessed with getting the phsyical and ebook version of everything I own -- aiyiyi -- too expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad somebody else does this!! I have a list on Amazon of just books that I want hardback copies of...I watch the prices and get them when they're cheap...but cheap can only be so cheap when you're double and triple buying already :(

      Delete
  3. I am a book hoarder as well, and have them in every room of my house. For the most part they are in neat piles, but sometimes, the piles get out of hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have many unruly piles as well, Heather :/ I stack and restack and organize and alphabetize, but they sometimes have minds of their own :):)

      Delete
  4. Great confessions! We are very very similar - I can't stand to DNF either, I must have a book everywhere, I love the smell of old books and I also keep the extent of my book habit secret from my husband - he has no idea how many books are on my kindle! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't need to know everything, Sam ;)

      Delete
  5. Ha, this is a great list considering I think I have the same confessions, especially with the whole "husband could have ammunition on budget discussions" with all my books that I have around the house (and that I might purchase again...) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine neither, Natalie! :) One really good thing about ebooks is that they are easier to hide :)

      Delete
  6. Maybe you & I are twins, separated at birth? ;-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad to have such good company, Debbie! :)

      Delete
  7. What a fun and humorous post! I think you speak for a lot of us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a fan of Top Ten Tuesday for quite some time, but this week's post was the funnest in a while :)

      Delete
  8. We have SO many of the same confessions. I didn't post this week, but I can certainly relate. I also write in my books, and I love looking back later to see what was going on in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha!!! Great confessions. But I'm curious what you mean about re-buying books that you've already read (I get the ebook and audio, but paperback)? If I see a hardcover copy of a book I absolutely adored I'll pick it up (most recently Cold Mountain).

    I don't write in books any more (did religiously in grad school) but I do dog-ear pages with passages I enjoy. Recently I let my dad borrow a book and he undogeared all of my pages. Think he thought he was doing me a favor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice list! I'm so bad at DNF-ing. What if the next page fixes any problems I had before and this is actually by new favorite book if I can just get to a certain point?

    ReplyDelete