Monday, September 24, 2012

Media Monday - The Emmy Awards



Most of the time I don't realize there is an awards show happening until the very next morning when I see the fabulous pics splashed all across the news media. 
I'm generally slapping myself on the head thinking, "I would really have liked to watch that!"
Somehow, someway the stars were all aligned last night, and I actually got to see some of the Emmy's LIVE!
Yep, live television, folks!  Doesn't happen very often for me!
 
Not only did I get to see some of the show, but I also happened to be reading Twitter when several book bloggers popped up and began tweeting about the fab and not so fab dresses the celebrities were wearing. Ladies from Suko's Notebook, Alison's Book Marks, and S. Krishna's Books, I had the best time tweeting with you gals!!!
 
Besides the clothes, it became apparant to me that I have been missing out on some great shows.  I don't like that, not at all.  While I don't generally catch shows when they air, I enjoy DVD marathons of full seasons, and liking a show so much that you can't wait for the next episodes is almost as exciting as a great book series.
 
Here's what I'm cuing for the next marathon:
 
Downton Abbey (which until last night I thought was DowntoWn Abbey #slapshead)
I've known since the first preview of this series (ahem, almost 3 years ago) that I would enjoy it...but just haven't made time for it)
 
 
 
 
Homeland (which I never even knew existed #rolls eyes)
Is Clare Daines not one of the most intelligent, well-spoken not to mention beautiful young women on the planet today?  Very refreshing, I might add.
 
 
 
 
Modern Family (again never heard of it but busted out laughing in the following preview). This one was also recommended by a co-worker today as we were discussing the Emmy's.
 
 
 
and Veep (Julia Louis-Dreyfus...where have I been???)
The dialogue between Louis-Dreyfus and Amy Poehler (who were nominated in the same category) was priceless last night.  It's also incredibly refreshing to see two classy, successful women supporting each other. 
 
 
 
 
 
The other show that won awards last night is Mad Men.
 
 
I have to be honest, though...I've never really been sure about this one...but I'm intrigued just enough to give it a try.
 
 
I've got a lot of catching up to do!!
Do you watch these shows??  Where do I start? 

12 comments:

  1. Wait ... Mad Men won something??! What??! (I thought they lost out in every category.) I am a huge Mad Men fan. Love it. That's one of the few shows I watch (the other being Parenthood). I'm intrigued by Downton Abbey, too and I'm thinking I also have a DVD marathon of that in my future. I've never heard of Homeland. Modern Family ... just never did much for me, although I never saw much of it. Maybe one episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if Mad Men won, Melissa...I was trying to Tweet, make notes, find Youtube clips to familiarize myself more with what everyone else was talking about, etc. I just know it kept getting brought up again and again. Downton Abbey is gonna be my first marathon bc of all the ones I'm interested in, it's the one that the folks who know me the best tell me I will REALLY like. :) Can't wait!!

      Delete
  2. Downton Abbey is AMAZING, so amazing that I wish, wish, wish it was based on a book... because I'm a nerd like that. I too thought it was DownTOWN Abbey until I finally caved in and watched it. I'm so excited for season 3!

    I love watching tv on dvd, no commercials, no waiting, it's perfect! I'd love to watch Homeland on dvd too.

    Mad Men might be a great show, but the few episodes I watched just made me mad at the way women used to be treated. And I'm not even a huge feminist, but when I found myself smacking the Hubs for things the characters on tv were doing, I decided it would be best to move on from the series. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Can't wait to see Downton Abbey!!

      I think what you said about Mad Men is exactly the feeling I have gotten from some of the clips I've seen...even from the very beginning. I think I'll give it a try, but it won't be my first marathon, nor will I buy the DVDs until I've watched some for FREE :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't watch the Emmys because I rarely watch TV. I'm so out of it, I generally don't know what people are talking about when conversation turns to TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm that way too, Kathy. But, so many of the shows that were nominated were from other networks like Showtime and HBO where you can watch episodes whenever you want via the cable instant play we have here. I truly wanted to see what the fuss was all about with some of the shows. As I watched the red carpet entrances, I was amazed at how many of the actors, not only did I not know, but I'd literally never even heard of!

      Delete
  4. I really need to catch up on some of my cult telly as well! I've seen a couple of stray episodes of Downton Abbey and am now determined to buy the box set asap for a little cosy winter viewing. Anything with the wonderful Maggie Smith AND Dan Stevens AND Brendan Coyle is a must for me. And Homeland was FANTASTIC - I've seen every episode except the last of the series (which I intend to find one way or another before the next series starts). Compelling, human, frightening, and utterly brilliant. Claire Danes, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin are faultless...

    I agree re: watching telly on DVD, by the way! Drama without the distraction, and comedy without a third of the programme being adverts? Count me in! BIG fan of the box set, me... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally if I've hunkered down with my DVD sets, I know I've got some time to enjoy what I'm watching. There is absolutely nothing more frustrating than commercials. I do watch past episodes of the show Bones based loosely on Kathy Reichs Temperence Brennan novels. But the network it airs on only replays WITH commercials...and LOTS of them. It makes me literally grit my teeth. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and started buying it episode by episode via Amazon. I'd rather have the boxed sets though.

      Delete
  5. It was great talking about the Emmys on Twitter, thanks for the shout-out! I, too, have vowed to start watching Homeland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homeland, yes definitely! I think it will be my next "hang on to the edge of my seat" addiction :)

      Delete
  6. I didn't see the Emmy's but I LOVE Downton Abbey, and have the first two seasons on disc. It is a fabulously wonderful show, and if you check Netflix, I think they have it on instant watch. You seriously need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I will check it out. That will give me an opportunity to watch a few episodes before I invest :) A colleague of mine who I talk all things British with assures me that I will love it :)

      Delete