Saturday, September 8, 2012

Snapshot Saturday - German Shepherds and Invisible Balls


We have a lot of fun around our house some Saturdays...and the funnest days are the ones we do not plan or anticipate in any way.
This morning my youngest and middle daughters decided on a whim to play a game of Wii baseball.


We go through spells with the Wii.
It sits idle a lot of the time, and then, Poof, out of nowhere, somebody turns it one.
That's what happened this morning.


I was at my computer with my back turned to the girls and could hear them laughing, giggling and yelling at their players.  Not long after they began though, I began to hear barking.  
With German Shepherds, barking isn't a cute little noise they make when they want to hear themselves talk. 
A German Shepherd's bark is all business.
I couldn't figure out what in the world could possibly be so wrong until I got up, walked into the den, and watched the action for a bit.


The youngest plays softball so Layla (the GSD) is used to her swinging and hitting a ball, which Layla then races to get if it happens to hit the ground before the catcher can receive it.  Soccer balls, tennis balls, wiffle balls, you name it...Layla loves to play ball.  
What she could not figure out this morning was WHERE THE HECK IS THE BALL???!!
She was beside herself.

Every time one of the girls would swing, Layla actually looked up and followed the line of sight where the ball should have been.  She even sniffed at the fireplace, the baskets in front of the fireplace and up to the mantle where she cannot reach even on her hind legs.  She eventually became so upset that I swear she was having a panic attack.

I took this series of pictures with my Iphone...there was a lot of movement so my subjects sometimes are blurry...Layla's tail especially is blurry because she wanted to play sooooo badly.  In most of the other shots, she is either barking, waiting for the next pitch, or darting from kid to kid.



























We finally found one of her tennis balls and an old practice soccer ball, gave them to her, she jumped up on the couch with them, and proceeded to tear them into shreds.  As long as she had her own balls, she never barked at the girls again.

I also shot a little video to share...




Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Alyce @ At Home with Books


31 comments:

  1. That is very funny! You have such a smart dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is smart, Alyce...but she sure couldn't figure out where that dang ball was...it was sad after awhile :( That's why we gave her 2 balls :)

      Delete
  2. That's a great series of photos - I never knew German Shepherds were so nice and friendly and playful until I read your blog - I've always been scared of them! My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/g4s6H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, German Shepherds are very naturally protective dogs, but they act according to the specific type of training they've been given. Layla is, of course, first and foremost, a family dog. She is very good with other people, and even groups of people as long as we are ok with the situation as well. But I have no doubt that if someone were to try and hurt us or scare us, she would take on a very different role. I've had animals all my life and she is by far the 2nd best dog I've ever owned...the first was a Chow my husband and I had for 13 years.

      Delete
  3. That was a great story--I could picture the whole thing even without your photographic backup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to always get that little box checked on my report card that was for "excessive talking" :/ I like to tell stories :p Drives one of my co-workers crazy...she's a "just the facts" kind of girl :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Took us a few minutes to figure out what in the world was going on :p

      Delete
  5. That is so funny! Poor Layla...wanting to know where the balls were.

    Here's my Saturday Snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! poor Layla! Totally confused!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like Layla is a playful dog and young at heart:) cute photos. Love all your shelf space. I could fill that up very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to build, Diane, but my husband was determined. I told him I would build if he would include built in shelves in 2 bedrooms, the living area and the media room (my home office). He loves them too :)

      Delete
  8. It looks like they had a ball (pardon my pun)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's hilarious!!! Poor Layla looks so confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually felt sorry for her after a while, poor thing; that's why we ended up giving her two balls :)

      Delete
  10. That is hilarious. Poor Layla!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She literally shredded the soccer ball we gave her bc she was so anxious :( But, we just let her have it and swept up after her :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my, that is hysterical. Great pics of the kids too. Looks like they had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least they weren't fighting for a change, Mel :)

      Delete
  12. We are the same way with Wii...and I feel so bad for Layla! It must just blow her mind!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They played golf yesterday and she did the same thing, Jenners :/ Good grief!

      Delete
  13. This is so great! Guessing that Layla got her workout in out of the game! When we had a cat we used to tease her with the laser pen--although in that case there was at least something visual for her to paw at. ;)

    ReplyDelete