Friday, November 23, 2012

Black Friday...in my pajamas






While I certainly don't begrudge those who shop on Black Friday, "those" don't include me.
I just can't do it.  It's just not who I am.  Waiting in line is not my forte' nor is being patient with pushy, rude people.  I was quite taken with an article I read earlier this week about the Colonial era blue laws still in effect in Plymouth, Massachusetts.  Thanksgiving is revered there, the place where Thanksgiving actually began, and celebrated quietly and peacefully with family.  How the heck did we get so far away from the true meaning of the holiday?  Yes, I'm a little naive.  Why do you ask?  Maybe I should move to Plymouth.  
I asked the husband who is on his laptop, sitting next to me, and unfortunately, he says we can't move to Massachusetts.
So, you see, it's best I stay home.
And, I do.
Happily.

After hosting Thanksgiving (my absolute favorite day of the year :), I've always spent the weekend after just resting and reading.  
Last year I participated in the Thankfully Reading ReadAThon weekend and vowed to make that part of my Thanksgiving tradition :) 
So, here I am! 



I don't want to spoil the weekend with too much planning, but here are a few things I've already picked out to start with:

The Daily Coyote - my friend Murray loaned this to me months ago...way past time for me to read this.


The School of Essential Ingredients - I actually own the hardback of this one...that's how long it's been on my TBR :/  


The Lost Art of Mixing - I've got this one up next for review so I'd like to get a little ahead of myself before things at school get completely nuts as we begin wrapping up the semester and exams begin.  I'm hoping to enjoy Erica Bauermeister so much after The School of Essential Ingredients that I'll fall right into this one.



Go on over to Jenn's Bookshelves for specifics and to sign up if you're interested in joining.  

:)




10 comments:

  1. I can't think of anything WORSE than shopping today. I was given the turkey carcass after a delightful dinner with friends last night so I'm making turkey stock to can. We'll have a lovely turkey barley soup for dinner tonight. And yes, I'll be reading too 'cause I almost never stop. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my ham bone this year for the very same task :) I always forget to keep the turkey carcass though :/

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more....why fight crowds when I can just as easily shop online in the comfort of my own home? Better yet, not shop at all!!

    I'm with you in relaxing with family, visiting some book blogs, and curling up with books this weekend. Enjoy your reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done most of my shopping online for many years now...I just don't get the appeal of the crowds.

      Delete
  3. It seems like a waste to be out shopping today, although I don't mind looking at online sales. Enjoy your "thankfully reading" weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be ready to look at the online sales by next week, and I have my favorite retailers bookmarked so nothing gets by me ;)

      Delete
  4. I worked this morning for Plaid Friday, which is the independent retailers' effort to take back the night, so to speak. PRetty low key, with lots of our favorite customers coming in to browse, while we provided hot cider and giveaways--which made me thankful that I don't work for one of the Black Friday retailers. Ugh!

    Your time is of much more profitable use and now I get to look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Plaid Friday sounds like a wonderful alternative if someone wants to get out. Both of my older daughters work in the mall so both had shifts today. Both said it was nuts, and both are exhausted :( Glad I stayed home :)

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy those eecards … this one does perfectly capture American, doesn't it? I don't do the Black Friday thing either. Too crazy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes...this one is perfect! I have enough crazy in my life without purposely adding more ;)

      Delete