Saturday, November 24, 2012

Snapshot Saturday - The Thanksgiving 2012 Edition


I love looking at holiday photos over the years...watching my girls grow and seeing the traditions being made.    
I take a bunch of pictures each year before during and after the holiday and then pick out my favorites much later down the road.  This year was no different.  I took pics of the decorating process, the cooking progress, all the help in the kitchen, early Thanksgiving morning just my husband and our children, and then gobs of photos of the 19 people who showed up for our feast.  I even took pics of the feast itself.
Early yesterday morning I snuggled up with my camera to revisit the memories.
This is what I saw:

"No CF card"

Excuse me, what?

So, I turned the camera off and back on again with my eyes closed and toes crossed, hoping I was just dreaming of the very silly possibility that there might not be a memory card in my camera.  

Same message.

My middle daughter loves taking pictures as much as I do.  She's even joined the yearbook staff at our college as one of the photographers.  I had no doubt what happened to my CF card.  You see, my card is bigger than hers.  Much bigger.  At some point this semester she must have decided to "borrow" my memory card.

Ahem.

The middle daughter and I had a very civilized discussion about the meaning of the word "borrow"...a very calm conversation bc I refuse to get upset at Thanksgiving.
I also suggested that she ask for a larger CF card for her own camera for Christmas.
And, then I very nicely mentioned that if she removed my memory card again, I would beat her.
Because that's what parents do.
;)

I do have a few pics from my Iphone to share...the quality is not as good as my trusty Canon, but I did manage to capture a few memories thanks to Steve Jobs.


Middle daughter there on the left, mixing up her famous Butterfinger Pie and youngest daughter on the right wrapping the green beans for the Green Bean Bundles.



Watching the Macy's Parade on Thanksgiving morning...Layla's the one with the ears :)



Another shot of my Layla...Her favorite balloons in the parade were Snoopy and Clifford :)




And, finally a grainy one taken by the middle daughter (AKA memory card stealer) after the feast was over and the first of many loads of dishes were washing.
Layla's still the one with the ears, and that's me with a smile on my face bc I survived the day :)


Snapshot Saturday is hosted by Alyce @ At Home with Books.

32 comments:

  1. Oh no no no … don't mess with mama's memory card!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving in spite of the memory card theft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely did! I have a few other pictures on my phone of pies and dirty dishes and a turkey that "leaked" all over my refrigerator...but that's another post ;)

      Delete
  3. Messing with someone's camera is a BIG no-no!! Looks like you still had a great day though.
    Here's my Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah...no doubt...18 year olds tend to think they are the only ones that matter...yeesh!
      We did still have a great day :)

      Delete
  4. She didn't notice you taking all those photos? Did she think there was a magical memory card or something? Gotta love kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a camera like mine but a smaller memory card. I guess she thought when she removed mine, that she replaced it with hers. Nope, didn't happen.
      Either love em...or beat em :p

      Delete
  5. That is a horrible feeling when you realize that none of your photos exist! At least you got a few from the phone. And had a nice Thanksgiving dinner.

    Years ago on a vacation in Italy I had a roll of film unwind inside my 35mm while I thought I was shooting photos. And I had no one to yell at but myself when I noticed what had happened... days later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that before too...before digital. I've also accidentally deleted photos that hadn't been downloaded yet. All made me feel equally sick.

      Delete
  6. Me too! I've deleted things before downloading them... and taken the camera out, then realised I forgot to charge the battery!My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/zAoio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a dead battery more times than I care to remember :( So aggravating!

      Delete
  7. I bet your day was wonderful despite the incident. Cute photos Patti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Diane :) The middle daughter did take a few pics of the family with her own camera...she hasn't downloaded them yet but I'm hoping there are some good ones :)

      Delete
  8. It looks like you had a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving! All you really need are a few photos to keep memories intact. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, you'll probably be regaling those at the table at future Thanksgiving with that story! It will seem funny then, even if not so much now. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll add it to the tales worth telling :)

      Delete
  10. Oooh, the jammy fiend! Still - every Thanksgiving from now on, when someone catches you peering at your camera suspiciously, you'll all remember why and laugh. :)

    Those are lovely pictures (amazing how a large portion of celebration photos are always pets - my sister took about three of us last year and a good fifty or more of the cats from every conceivable angle!), and congratulations for surviving the day with a smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my brother in laws says visiting us is like visiting the zoo...but all my nieces and nephews love to visit for that very reason :):) I take it as a compliment!
      There was one point where I pulled out the last fork I own that I got a little shaky...but then I just pulled out some plastic and let it go ;)

      Delete
  11. Uh oh- I would have been furious! Layla is such a pretty girl. Reminds me of my mom's darling German Shepherd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The daughter had gone to work on Black Friday when I discovered her deed...that's the only thing that saved her ;)
      Layla is my first GSD and I LOVE her...such an incredible breed :)

      Delete
  12. Haha! Yes, I have a "borrower" in my house too, but never the card. Not yet at least. The pictures you did capture are very sweet. I'm so glad you had a great Thanksgiving and that you survived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This turned out to be my biggest crowd ever, and I did get a little nervous at one point. I thought about a shot of the Jack Daniels that I use in the bread pudding sauce but decided against it since my MIL was in the kitchen at the time ;)
      We did have a great time :)

      Delete
  13. I think I'm in love with Layla. She has such a lovely doleful expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm in love with her, Ginx :) She's a very special dog.

      Delete
  14. Our daughters must be twins! She has a knack for "borrowing" my makeup, my camera, my clothes, etc. etc.....let me know if you come up with a good beating style LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oldest borrows my make-up :( This morning I discovered that she had used my powder foundation brush in the blush...GRRRRRRR...didn't even ask to use my stuff to begin with. My jeans were also in her bathroom...didn't ask to wear those either. And phone chargers??? Good luck in my house...whoever needs one just grabs the closest one, no matter who it belongs to...drives me bonkers!

      Delete
  15. My camera won't take photos without the card (it lets you know with a message on the screen too). And I've left our memory card at home countless times. Lovely photos that you did get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish mine was like that, Alyce! I don't take mine out, which is why it never even occurred to me to check. I hope she actually got some of the family.

      Delete
  16. Looks like a great day. Layla looks like she enjoyed it most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise...it was a great day!
      Layla wasn't sure about so many people inside her house :p

      Delete