Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday Salon - Bring on Thanksgiving...please


What a week this has been!

Soccer season is over, and the firstborn is preparing to transfer to a senior college in January.  Please don't ask me where because the child can't seem to make up her mind.  Why rush it, right?
Oy.

The middle child is spreading her wings somewhat and continues to blossom in college.  She blossomed a little too much a couple of weekends ago and realized that even though Mama and Daddy are right there on campus with her, we won't be there to "fix" things when she messes up.  I think it was a good lesson overall.

Both older girls are gainfully employed for the upcoming holiday season...Thank Heaven.

Halloween came and went right smack in the middle of the week with all the usual revelries :)
I have to admit though that I did fall off the no carbs, no sugar wagon...I blame the Milk Duds...
and the Twix bars...
and the 100,000 bars.
Yes, even though I only bought candy I do not like, some other pesky parent (probably a size 2) put these mouth watering treasures in my child's candy basket.
The nerve.

I keep grading papers...but they just keep multiplying...oh, the joys of being a composition instructor.

Anxiety, which we've managed to keep under semi-control for quite some time now, reared its ugly head in a big way this past week.  Because the sufferer was not me this time, I'll just say it was a pretty serious setback and leave it at that.  In the role of caretaker, I did realize how strong of an advocate for my family's health I've really become and how utterly ridiculous our healthcare system has become.
 We pay a buttload of money every month for insurance, which is supposed to provide some sense of security, right?  However, it seems whenever we need medical care of any kind, the navigation issues are horrendous.  Even for established patients, the paperwork, the red tape, the wait time, and of course, the bills are enough to make someone just start medicating himself/herself.  Not to mention the margin of error...for the 2nd time in a very short while I had to argue profusely with a pharmacist over emergency medicine...one an asthma inhaler (I'm sorry, ma'am, it will be Monday before we can contact the doctor and correct this mistake...can your daughter hold her breath until then?) and the other for a panic attack (ma'am we realized you've managed to control this person's life-threatening anxiety for the last 24 hours that it took the doctor to call back, but bc the medicine is a controlled substance and someone called it in incorrectly, we'll need to contact the doctor's office and get the doctor's license number before we can fill it.  It will probably be Monday before we'll get this filled.)  Are you serious??  I am a law abiding citizen who only once or twice in my lifetime has needed to fill a prescription for "a controlled substance."  Only because I argued profusely, on the verge of ugliness, did the pharmacist dig into the computer and realize that the license number was actually there...but had been put into the wrong file or box or something which I could care less about.
Every time something like this happens to us, I am thankful for a job that makes me pull my hair out and somewhat of a sense of security that I can take care of my family...what in the world do people who don't have resources and assertiveness do in these situations.
I'm sorry for the rant, but something's gotta give.

On a much happier note...
I'm beginning preparations for what is my absolute most favorite time of the year...Thanksgiving.
I have been hosting this event for a long, long time after one year, by accident, my mom couldn't make it and had to walk me through the whole process over the phone.
I took notes and still take notes each year about what we make, who's in charge of what, decorations, needs for next year, etc.  My mother-in-law worries every year that it's asking too much of me to take on such a large production, but every year, I remind her that I have the entire week off and two mostly grown daughters who love it almost as much as I do and can't wait to get in the kitchen and the house with me.  Even the youngest has gotten involved over the last couple of years.
I will spend the Friday after Thanksgiving in my pajamas.  All day.  Reading.
I don't get to participate in Read-a-Thons any other time of the year, but I stumbled upon the Thankfully Reading Weekend last year and vowed to make it a part of my Thanksgiving tradition from here on out.
I don't talk about any other holidays until after Thanksgiving...and my girls have picked up this habit of mine as well.
We're all ready for a break.

On the blog this past week: 

Saturday - Snapshot Saturday The Halloween Edition

On the blog schedule for this week:

Thursday - Passages to the Past Book Review - Lincoln Conspiracy



Downton Abbey Season 2 Review - not sure which day yet...but I finished Season 2 just last night and am anxiously awaiting the Jan. 6 preview of Season 3 in the U.S.

I'm thinking Homeland is my next choice for DVD marathon :)

I've also got several reviews mostly finished, just needing finishing touches and posting so hopefully I'll be able to get at least one of those up this week.




28 comments:

  1. Don't even start me on the healthcare system. I am just happy I am married to a lawyer. It scares doctors.

    I'm reading The Lincoln Conspiracy as well but not until December. I'll look forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Those in the healthcare profession also seem to be able to navigate the system better than the rest of us. I guess they know all the ins, outs, and all abouts.

      Delete
  2. I've not had a bad experience in awhile with the healthcare, knock on wood. And my best friend is a pharmacist so she gets pulled into a drama here or there to help out. But I sympathize, because over the years we have all had these situations. And I could get political here and make a comment on which direction the healthcare industry is heading, but I won't. I love Thanksgiving too, but unfortunately we have no family down here and my parents aren't going to come to FL until after Xmas. So we are going to go to a resort! We have a free two night stay down at one near Disney, and we are going to have somebody else cook for us, and sleep in and lay by the pool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided not to make any political statements either, Sandy because honestly I think this is a problem that is bigger than who is the president of the U.S. Middle class America just seems to get hit hard no matter what the issue or who's in charge :(
      We went to Hawaii one year for Thanksgiving and I was miserable. I have gotten so accustomed to this tradition that I literally was depressed on Thanksgiving Day. But, most of our family is either within the state or a state or two over in any direction, so we are generally able to have larger get-togethers. This Christmas will most likely be smaller, however, bc of all the relatives coming in for Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  3. I'm not going to pretend to understand American healthcare (all I know about it is you have to pay/be insured) but it sounds majorly frustrating for you at the moment. I think sometimes that people who work in health become so used to life crises that they forget how new and important things are for the actual patient.

    Hope you have a better week next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, I myself don't understand American healthcare, and all I know too is that we have to pay. And, it is VERY frustrating, especially when those of us who pay end up paying even more for those who are not forced to pay. See, it doesn't make any sense...we have to pay...but some people don't.
      I am going to have a better week :)

      Delete
    2. We have a lot of problems here in the UK but I am always grateful for the NHS. I've had so much treatment for my bowel disease and there is no way I could have afforded it if I had to pay. It's not perfect, but boy I am glad it exists.

      Delete
    3. I learned a little about NHS while in Ireland from a friend whose father had been recently diagnosed with cancer. But that's about all I know...sounds like something worth reading more about :)

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with your rant. I have called to just make an appointment for an anxiety ridden kid and they say they have opening weeks from now and I say, "do you want him to kill himself" and they say, oh, how about you come in today?

    I LOVE your Thanksgiving attitude. I need to adopt it. Just reading your thoughts have made me excited for this holiday that usually I just want to "get it over with." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! We have also learned the hard way how important it is to get the right doctor for anxiety/OCD issues. In order to get the right doctor though we sometimes have to pay a lot of money...and we just bite the bullet and do it. So, I'm not at all patient with the whole "we don't have an opening until January" bit. We've also had several suicides in our community over the last few years...all pretty much from the person not getting help soon enough. How the heck are you supposed to get help soon enough?? I could go on and on.
      The week of Thanksgiving is just my time to be quiet and thankful...I refuse to let it get crazy and I take a laid back approach to the day...I've burned rolls more than once and actually caught the marshmallow topping on the sweet potato casserole on fire one year while we were saying the traditional "go around the circle and have everybody say something they're thankful for" before the meal begins. We still laugh about that. It's not perfect...and I honestly don't want it to be. I love it.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are really ready for Thanksgiving break on many levels. Me too and my little family of four voted not to have turkey and to stay close to home which means we will not travel to my brother's house where the food is good, the wine flows but we still manage to not have fun.

    So stay home we will which will mean I could just cook in my pajamas that day with a glass of wine in hand.

    I'm sending you peaceful days until the holiday break arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking in my pajamas sounds just as good as reading in my pajamas ;P I think one of my husband's favorite things about Thanksgiving is that we stay at home and everybody comes to us. We are truly stay at home people who don't get to stay at home much :(

      Delete
  6. Hi I just stumbled across your blog and I see that we have similar reading tastes, so I am now your newest follower. I would love for you to stop by my blog and check it out. I really hope to see you there and happy reading!

    Kimberlee
    http://girllostinabook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimberlee! And thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. A Thanksgiving weekend of reading sounds just about perfect right now! Hope you have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the idea that the Thanksgiving reading weekend is coming will get me through the last couple of crazy weeks before the holiday week arrives :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I can relate to the anxiety situation. I have really bad panic attacks, and nothing seems to help them except the meds. The meds that I can't get when I need them sometimes. I feel you on this. Anxiety can be mind blowing, and it can make you feel like you are dying. I will say a prayer for you that this blows over quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to have a family full of sufferers...even my youngest has exhibited some early signs of OCD related anxiety. We have a long line of family sufferers on both sides as well...I don't think people who've never had a panic attack really understand the severity of it. Your mind is so out of control that it literally affects your physical being...it's not in anybody's head...it's very real and very scary.

      Delete
  9. I hope this week is a little less frustrating for you. I just got myself the Downton Abbey DVDs so I feel a marathon coming up in my future too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss it now that I'm done with the first 2 seasons...I've even marked Jan. 6 on my calendar so I don't forget ;)

      Delete
  10. I really love Thanksgiving and this year, I am not just taking the day before off. I am taking the entire week off! I am so excited. We have our Thanksgiving in PJs meal and it's something we all look forward to. It's will be the 3rd year doing it this way. No other family. Just us, in our pjs, watching movies and eating non-stop. Heaven.

    I am so sorry that you had to deal with the anxiety issue. I have a family member that required immediate assistance once and it is a very scary situation, even when it's not the first time they've experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember reading about your PJ meal in previous years :) My mom is taking the entire week off this year as well; it's just so much more relaxing to me than Christmas.
      Anxiety is no fun...but I am thankful for the doctors we've had who have not only taken care of us but have educated us as well on things to do in order to deal with the issues.

      Delete
  11. Wow, those experiences with the pharmacist sound extremely frustrating! I'm sorry you had to deal with that! One can hope, optimistically, that someday our healthcare system with be more functional and easily available to all.

    It sounds like you are doing some good parenting by letting your middle child deal with her issues. I've seen some interesting results when parents always rush in to save the day with adult children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly don't know what the answers are with our healthcare system, Alyce. I know that the middle class can't take much more...it feels as if we shoulder the burden for everybody sometimes...and we won't be middle class much longer if we continue to have to pay ridiculous prices to take care of our families. Again, I don't know what the answers are, and this isn't a political issue for me. It's just fact.

      Delete
  12. What a disaster our healthcare system in the US has become. I can relate. My 'new' insurance plan has a HUGE deductible before any coverate kicks in. Just try and get a price for a test or x-ray beforehand. Almost impossible. Almost.

    I always enjoy Thanksgiving. It's a stress free weekend as long as I stay far away from any malls. I'll be participating in the Thankfully Reading Weekend too, after a little birdwatching in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of years ago, our deductibles doubled. I almost had a heart attack. The only way I could deal with the price hike was to put a lump sum of money on a "flex card" offered by my employer. It allows us to take out a sum of money (set by the individual) each month to put on the card for medical expenses. It definitely helped to be able to pay a set amount each month for medical expenses...at least until the amount was used up. We can only sign up and indicate the amount we want deducted during an "open" enrollment specified window of time each year. Doctors who used to allow you pay a little along the way all want their money up front these days. Like you said, the cost of even a simple procedure or test is crazy...who has that kind of money in their monthly budget to just write a check for a needed procedure? Very scary to me.
      Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving...I just keep saying it to myself :)

      Delete
  13. Let's look forward to Thanksgiving and gratitude for the blessings we have.
    Our grandkids love to go to the mountain and play in the snow.

    ReplyDelete