Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sunday Salon - The Exams Approacheth Edition





Ahhhh, the two weeks before exams...ahhhh, the freaked out students who've done no work all semester long and now miraculously "need" a C for scholarships, academic probation, GPA, yada, yada, yada.  And...here comes the kicker, ya'll...I'm a meanie if I don't let them make up all the work they've missed since August and give them their C or B or even A.  

Don't worry.
I'm the meanie.
I. do. not. let. them. make. up. work. they've. missed. since. August.
will
 not.

For many of my students, it's time to grow up.  It's time to realize that actions have consequences...and that the big boy and big girl world won't wait around for you if you choose to slack off.
Amen.

Since this is not an academic blog, that's all I'm gonna say about that.
Period.

I've been reading student essays and research papers this week, so my personal reading and writing was stymied this past week.  I did manage to read Erica Bauermeister's School of Essential Ingredients and The Lost Art of Mixing though and posted my review of TLAOM at 11:40 p.m. of the day it was due.  
I almost completely forgot it.  
**smacking forehead**

Oy.

My brain tends to be addled some during heavy grading periods so I've managed to pick up quite a few silly news articles this week...it's always interesting to me what my brain focuses on during times of high stress :/
Take a look at these:


Elmo puppeteer - I thought Sesame Street was safe...and this just made me sad.

Florida man chokes in roach eating contest trying to win a snake - While I would never wish for anyone to die, I just sorta feel like if you are going to eat roaches, well, I'm assuming this result would be something that you should have contemplated??  Surely somebody somewhere could've found this guy a book to read??  Yeesh.

Organic Eggs Scorecard - this made me mad.  I've been paying over a dollar more for every carton of eggs I buy bc I buy Eggland's Best.  They are on the freaking bottom of this list.  They tricked me!! I. hate. being. tricked.

Classic first lines  - cool booky stuff here...some memory joggers and some TBR teasers :)

The cast of Les Mis - my big giant whopper Les Mis keeps moving from my dresser, to the nightstand, now to my desk at home.  I cannot watch this movie until I've read this book...but you've got to love this month's Vogue spread of the cast.  

Barnes and Noble Best Books of 2012 - another list...anybody else out there like me who can't get enough of these lists :)

I haven't posted my winners yet, but will do so after church today :) I've got a little surprise too :)



16 comments:

  1. Les Mis is a chunker - rather like The Count of Monte Cristo and depending on the translator can be wonderful or interesting. enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I want to read it, I'm reminded of those giant anthologies we used to have to read in college. And the print is so tiny...how the heck are you supposed to hold that thing and read for any length of time?? Oy.

      Delete
  2. He died in a roach eating contest? What a sad way to go. Seriously.

    I don't blame you for being a meanie. I see the same thing at the university. Part of being an adult is learning how to prioritize and giving students an easy ride does not prepare them for work in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen...they are running all over the place right now...trying to find any points they can from whomever will give them some. Ridiculous.

      Delete
  3. Our student workers in the library have been moaning and groaning about the papers they have due...LOL I bet you'll enjoy your semester break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A former student who is now at the university level posted in response today to some complaining students on FB. He told them they have no idea what they have ahead of them. I'd love to be a fly on the wall with some of them in a couple of years.

      Delete
  4. Only in Florida, I swear. We've got them all down here. And ah, Les Mis. I really want to see that movie, but no way in hell I'm going to get it read in the next, like, 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I started to ask if you knew this guy, Sandy ;) Heaven knows we've got em here in MS too :P
      I wonder if there's a good audio of Les Mis available??

      Delete
  5. Amen! They gotta learn that they can't slack off all semester and then when the end comes, try to make it all up! Good for you for sticking to your guns!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets hard sometimes bc they're pros at working the system. One almost had me convinced the other day that I had told him the wrong thing on his research paper. When 25 other students got it correct though, I knew he had played me. Made me soooo mad...and, he's a pretty good student too.

      Delete
  6. A bit of tough love should benefit your students in the long run ....

    Interesting and varied post! I could not find the eggs I buy on the list, but will take a closer look. I did find some of the books I've read this past year on the B & N list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet that would be quite a task reading a bunch of papers! I hear Les Mis is a fantastic read! I generally find myself reading as I travel for my job, but my travel has been minimal over the past several months, so my reading in turn has dwindled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! We used to live in a college town. I actually knew parents who called their children's professors for them. I was appalled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bi - I wanted to invite you to click over to my blog and enter the Ireland Challenge giveaway - you earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This lesson that you are teaching them is one they need to learn more than any other. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in the middle of grading finals and calculating final grades. My last scheduled final was yesterday so as I sat down this morning to calculate grades, I pulled up my email that included a few students who wanted to know what they had to do to either pass the class or raise their C to a B. Seriously, we have already taken our final exam. They complain they will lose their financial aid, etc. but either they didn't come to class the way that they should or did not study. I even piloted Student Instruction to go along with my class so they had several group tutoring sessions throughout the week. My SI leader had my test review so he knew where to concentrate. I did, however, have better retention and grades this semester overall. Just wanted to let off a little steam after grading all day.

    ReplyDelete