Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!!

 
To say that Layla is not a fan of fireworks would be an understatement.  Our first indication of this was Fourth of July when I literally had to sit on the couch with her as the kids at our house went nuts with fireworks outside.
 
For the first couple of hours last night she barked at each pop as if it was a terrorist attack :/
 
(Why, yes, I've been watching Homeland; why do you ask?)
 
As I've been trained to do with her, I keep my voice steady and act as if there is nothing wrong...except for the wrapping her in the Cubs blanket part.
 
After an hour or so, my youngest wanted to shoot her own fireworks and managed to rope her daddy into going outside and lighting the fuses. 
Because "her girl" was outside with the loud pops and crazy lights, Layla decided to woman up and take a peek.
We sat in the doorway to the garage and watched the youngest squeal with delight as the husband slowly made his way through our small collection of ammo and gunpowder. 
Slowly but surely Layla decided to get even closer to the action. 
 
For the last 30 minutes or so, Layla stayed right beside me at the very edge of the garage door and watched the action...I didn't have my phone or I would have taken another picture of my disciplined, never ceases to amaze me with her intellect and controlled GSD who put her fears aside to stand guard over my youngest who was, I'm sure in Layla's opinion, clearly at risk.
 
She didn't flinch or jump at the sounds and sights...and once I even let her walk out and sniff a random firework that had been left behind. 
She proceeded to eat said firework but thankfully dropped it on command. 
I decided then we were probably safest back inside the garage.
 
After much hard work outside, here's my youngest and her trusty companion ringing in the New Year
Look who's wrapped in the Cubs blanket now :)
 
 
Happy New Year!

21 comments:

  1. She is an amazing dog! I want one of my own ;o). Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Layla never ceases to amaze *me* either. What a great part of your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be 2 this year and she's really matured just in the last 6 months I think. :) She's very special indeed :)

      Delete
  3. I love that first photo.
    Dogs can be so very protective in spite of what scares them.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year!
    My cat isn't a fan of fireworks either, he kept jumping every time a particularly big one went off last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, our cats didn't really seem to notice...they just all hunkered down in various hiding spots in the house and rode it out :)

      Delete
  5. What a sweet story! Layla is certainly a wonderfully protective dog.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Layla - she certainly seems sweet. Here's to a Happy 2013 Patti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! She really is an asset to our family :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the wonderful post. Your Layla is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Otter Pup heard the pops, stuck her head under the blinds and then chuffed as if to say, "How droll."

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Layla didn't bark once we got outside...it was as if she was just taking it all in :)

      Delete
  9. Awww…what a brave Layla! My dogs are terrified of fireworks … I wonder if they would be so brave as Layla!

    Happy New Year -- wishing you lots of 5 star reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our little dog Lizzie is petrified of them. I don't think our oldest dog can hear them :/ I crated both of them just in case though and they slept through most of it. Layla used to have a crate, but she grew out of it...even the largest one I could find :p
      Thanks, Jenners! I'm wishing for 5 star reads too!!

      Delete
  10. That's so sweet! What a good dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of the best I've ever had, Alyce :)

      Delete
  11. Such a brave girl! She sounds like a wonderful companion.

    My dog doesn't seem to mind the fireworks. We keep him inside anyway (we don't go out either) though. The cats are quick to scurry under the bed and hide when they hear them outside though.

    ReplyDelete