Saturday, March 23, 2013

Snapshot Saturday - My Layla, coach and confidant

Have you ever had a week that really really kicked your arse?
I mean really.
No, really, really, really.

That was my week last week.

For a variety of reasons into which I'm not ready to go, by yesterday afternoon, I collapsed on the couch and just thought, "I'll just lay her...indefinitely."

As much better as running makes me feel...I didn't even want to run.  
It was one of those curl up into a fetal ball after it's over weeks.

Layla naps with me, and she did yesterday as always, but anytime I moved around, she lifted her head expectantly...she knew it was running day.  


When I run, she changes positions varying on where we are, who else is around, and honestly how hard I'm breathing. 
If we have a clear road, with no obstacles (dogs or people), she will run ahead and explore.  
If someone comes out or another dog appears, she drops back closer to me and never takes her eyes off of the intruder.
If I begin to walk after a long run, she races back to me...almost as if to say, "Are you ok, Mommy?"

Because of her and her alone, I got off the couch yesterday.


She stayed closer to me yesterday than she usually does.
Dog lovers will agree with me, and dog not-so-much lovers will roll their eyes.
But, I swear she was cheering me on.

She even encouraged me to take some hills I would normally shy away from.


I think she knew I need to shake off some of the sh*t of the week.

In the last picture above, I was cooling down...and again, it was as if she was saying, "See, Mommy, I told you it would all be better after a run!"

She was right. 

Snapshot Saturday is hosted by Alyce @ At Home with Books

24 comments:

  1. While I am much more of a cat person I grew up with dogs and I completely understand their ability to feel moods.

    Sorry you had a crappy week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty...I can't wait to see pics of your little baby goats (kids). Animals just have a way of bringing a smile to our faces, don't they? :)

      Delete
  2. Ah. That's a sweet story and sweeter pictures. I'm so glad you're run made a difference.

    This would be a great post to link up to Readers' Workouts on my blog on Tuesday.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy :) I'm thankful I have Layla to remind me just how much of a difference running makes for me :)

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it does take someone or some dog to get us to do what we know is the best thing for us. Glad you had Layla there- she has such a lovely exressive face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what I'd do without her, Louise :)

      Delete
  4. Dogs know things we don't know. How lovely that you have a dog in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think they do...it makes sense that their other sensory outlets would be heightened because they can't speak. We must also smell different depending on our moods.

      Delete
  5. they really know what we need better than us sometimes. i can't count how many time i would have given up without mine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know she was cheering you on! I sure miss having a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very special relationship, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  7. Sweet little baby that Layla. I could use a dog right now, because I had one of those weeks. It took every bit of courage and strength I had to get through it, for reasons that I talked about today and ones I didn't even go into. The running (or my inability to run) is really dragging my heart down into the muck. It is my release and my escape, and I just can't do it. I have really messed myself up. So I am coming to grips with stopping until I have healed, and just stick with the personal trainer and elliptical for now. It is breaking my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrified of hurting myself...I missed a week when my mom was sick which set me back more than I expected. My first 5K is April 6 and I won't be finished with my C2K5 program in time due to the setback. I've been tempted to push through as quickly as possible so I will but ready, but thankfully, I've been able to talk myself out of it so far. Running is the best thing I've every found for my anxiety...I can imagine your turmoil over not being able to run right now.

      Delete
  8. I spent most of the week hacking from a severe cold - maybe flu but seriously I had no time for that. Today I chill on the couch.. tomorrow... back to the gym :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we just have to rest...nothing we can do about it...and the next run will be that much better bc we've allowed ourselves to rest :) That's what I keep telling myself anyway :p

      Delete
  9. I'm not a dog person, but still loved reading this post. What a sweetie she is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, I don't know what I would do without her!!

      Delete
  10. You do have a lovely dog. No Snapshot from me this week, because I only got back from Mum's yesterday, but I like to see what everyone is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dogs know best! They are incredible companions. My own dog loved to take walks and little jogs with me. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She keeps me going, Suko :) They are very special creatures indeed :)

      Delete
  12. I'm an animal lover and really believe that animals sense when we need them the most. Glad Layla helped you off the couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had animals all my life, Diane and Layla's behavior is what I've experienced as normal with animals. My cat Uh-Oh (the black cat in my header) can't stand for my girls to be upset. If one of the older girls is down, he literally wraps himself around them and won't leave them alone. Sometimes he's just there; other times he actively tries to get their attention. Animals are so in tune with their surroundings; humans could learn a lesson or two from them :)

      Delete