Saturday, December 7, 2013

Yes, Virginia, I too am a Feminist.




The Representation Project has released the above video.  
I wateched it this morning on Facebook and then posted it to my Timeline.  
Because I'm like that.
Whatever "that" means.

My 15 year old nephew posted the following comment, "Oh no, Aunt Patti, not you too..."

Yeah.

He did.

Because he's 15, I let him slide with a gentle confirmation that I am, indeed, one of those he catalogues as "you too."

Because I'm 45, and this is my blog, I can't just let it go. 
I'm a feminist.  

FEMINIST

I'm married, have 3 kids, and love my husband.
I appreciate men and am glad we have them here with us to take out the trash. 

That was a joke, people.  

However, there's a lot of inequality in this world.
Sexism, racism, ethnicism, anti-semitism, classism, nationalism...and on and on and on...
Still.

And, I don't believe that's the way it should be.

I worry tremendously about those who think equality is an old, boring topic...that mindset just means the hidden agendas are working.
One short look back into World History shows pretty quickly how the tide can turn...and how many times the tide turns over and over again.
We must work hard for change...and never let our guard down.
Never become complacent.
Care.

I've worked hard to raise my own daughters to believe in themselves, to be strong, independent young women who can take care of themselves.  
I've also raised them to care about others and to always consider how their actions and words affect not just themselves but others as well.
Each generation is responsible for the continuation of society.
And, they must accept that responsibility.

Now, I feel better.


6 comments:

  1. It's frankly appalling to me that so many people still view feminism as a bad thing. What's that bumper sticker say? Feminism is the radical notion that men and women should be equal in the eyes of the law.

    I think the real question should be, why isn't *everybody* a feminist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny - my husband who is as pro equality as any man I know kept poo pooing me when I said that the right would come after birth control after they worked on abortion. He said there was no way. He said that those battles were won. I kept saying that there was a huge wave that wanted to put women back in the kitchen and keep them there. He just smiled at me.

    He now agrees with me and can't believe it. I keep saying that I am very glad I am on the ass end of my life and not having to start out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm especially disturbed at the young women in our world today who think they'e being treated equally as well and/or that women are just objects of men's desires. Their responses to "feminist" literature just blows my mind.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post, Patti. I, too, am a feminist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can we not be, Suko?
      Amazing, isn't it?

      Delete