Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I'm a Runner

I ran last night.
Yes, it was 27 degrees...but I ran.
The freakiest thing is that I WANTED to run despite the cold.

This time last year, I knew I needed to change some things or I would be engulfed in the depression that swarmed me over the holidays.  It had been a long time coming, but the Newtown tragedy pushed my psyche over the edge.  I couldn't deal.

So I focused on my spirit and ran.

Couch to 5K first and my first 2 local 5Ks.  I ran/walked in 10 minute increments, but I finished.
I was still stunned that I could push my un-athletic self to these limits.  
Another 5K right before surgery last summer. I ran that one.  The entire way. 
Blew my mind.

Surgery.
A slowwwwwww healing process.
Wanted so badly to run...I was addicted...in a good way :)

Signed up for a running group still on the mend from surgery.
Made it 1/2 way through the 10 week training program and injured myself, so I had to let go of the group. 
I continued to walk/run on my own after therapy on my neck and shoulder, but it wasn't the same.  

Focused on cleaning up our eating habits. 
Signed up for the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon in Feb. 2014.
Husband had a stent put it, and I became a maniac health nut. 
Ran/walked with the dog as much as possible for sanity.

Became a slug over the holidays.
Reminded myself that I had signed up for the 1/2 Marathon which I was nowhere near trained to run now.  

I focused again on my spirit...threw out all the cookies and candies and re-signed up for the running group.  
To say that I was hopping around last night would be to put it mildly.
I asked not to be put in the advanced group this time, and comfortably (but still challenged) succeeded in my run. 

We warmed up for 5 minutes and then ran 4- 4 minute intervals with 1 minute walks in between and a 5 minute cool down.  
I needed to know the times on the 4 minutes, but I allowed myself to talk with my fellow intermediate runners.  

I loved it. 
Every minute of it. 
Even the hard minutes.
Even the freezing cold minutes. 
Running makes me celebrate the strength that I have...that I've always suspected was there, but I never gave it a chance to show.  

I'm a runner.   

11 comments:

  1. What kind of shoes are those? I need some motivation and those shoes are it.
    Good for you on the running. I am such a mess when it comes to exercise. I always gain weight when I exercise so the motivation is hard to keep up. For example, I was a complete slug the entire three weeks of me being off. No exercise besides dog walking and I have lost 13 lbs. Hard to exercise when thst happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Gel Nimbus 14s. I love them!
      I try not to weigh too much, Ti. You have to remind yourself that muscle weighs more...not bulky weight but dense, tight weight. Everybody has to find their happy medium though :)

      Delete
  2. The hubby was like this until the arthritis in his knees knocked him down. There is nothing short of replacement surgery that will get him back to running and the doctors have told him he is still 5 years out for that. So he hikes now. He truly misses running though. He says he is paying the price for all of those miles on pavement back in the 70ies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of friends my age who played sports when they were younger. They are beginning to have problems with their hips, knees, and other joints at our age. I have to be very careful with my left knee and take it slow with no jerky movements. Yoga stretches really help :)

      Delete
  3. Patti, how great that you pushed yourself and felt so good afterward --bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a matter of self-preservation, Diane :)

      Delete
  4. Patti, your post inspires me to get out there and run, to train for an upcoming 5k. Stay strong and motivated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suko :) Today I have to workout on my own so we'll see if I'm as motivated after that :)

      Delete
  5. Go Patti! Keep up the good work! :)
    Where is the half marathon? I am no longer running my half marathon on February 8……Jimmy is just too injured to run. I switched from the whole because I was so burn out on marathon training, but since Jimmy can't run, I'm not either. I have worked out only once this week--while sick! :) I was in denial that I was sick. I am doing T25 3 days a week and running 3 days a week. One of those runs is a 10 miler, the other two are 3-4 on my treadmill.
    I am proud of your perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roan! The 1/2 is in New Orleans. I'm just planning to run what I can and then walk the rest of the way. I really want to finish it but I don't want to hurt myself either. We'll see :) Hope y'all are all feeling better soon!!

      Delete
  6. Good for you! I miss running terribly, but now the baby is here and I've been given the green light to return, so return I shall! It's an incredibly liberating feeling to WANT to run, when it's raining, or dark, or cold. I love that feeling of just wanting to be by myself, listening to my audiobook and just running. Sometimes I walk, most times I run, but I have fun all the time. I can't wait to get back to my other blog as well, This Chick Will Run. Not one consistent post for over a year there! Oh, well, I have an excuse, right :)

    ReplyDelete