Saturday, March 29, 2014

I've been away...

I started this blog on January 2, 2010.
I've gone through a lot of stages over the last 4 years.
And, I'm about to head right on into the next one.



In my 2nd blog posting, I admitted that I was a workaholic.
And I was.
But, my work provides me with almost no rewards anymore.
None.
Nada.
It's a job.
A paycheck.



Now, don't get me wrong.
I still LOVE my students. 
When I'm in the classroom with them, everything else is ok.
But, once class is over, I don't want to be there anymore.
There are a lot of reasons for this feeling of professional malaise, but my blog has never been and will never be an academic blog.
It just is what it is.



I'm also 45 years old and ready for a change.
I don't know what that change will be just yet.
My older daughters have moved out of our house, and my youngest daughter is beginning to act like a preteen.
Thankfully, I look at my husband and realize that I love him more today than I probably did 25 years ago when we first got married.
But, I'm ready for the next stage of life as well as the next stage of this blog.

In the first photo above, I love that the stage of a woman's life after raising children is illustrated by her standing straight and tall at the top.
I have no desire to go back in years...never have.  I've been waiting a long time to feel strong, important, and worthy.  I've truly learned that it's time that makes us so.



My blog will probably be more personal than anything from now on.
My goal from the beginning was never to be just like anyone else's blog or end up commercialized.  I've been tempted a time or two and made more than a few mistakes.  I know now what I do well and what I don't do well.
When I say personal, I mean that you can expect to see posts about books, gardening, photography, animals, and my family.
I won't, however, be doing anymore giveaways, memes, or trying to follow a set schedule.
That's just not me.

My favorite blog posts over the last 4 years are the ones that bring back memories or capture time for a few moments.
Those are the posts that I'll focus on now.


...or eat a cookie :p



6 comments:

  1. Isn't life grand! So many different stages and emotions to go through. We have just one at home now also and it is a big change. She often is very prima donna in her attitude toward us-could be the preteen thing also.

    I love your personal blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's amazing isn't it? With my youngest, it's like she went from our baby to a wannabe grown-up overnight... Oy.
      When I looked back over my posts over the past 4 years, it's the personal ones (and of course the book ones) that mean the most to me. That's what I want more of from here on out :)

      Delete
  2. Hey, your blog is whatever you say it is. I enjoy personal posts as much (sometimes more!) than book reviews anyway, depending on my mood. I know I have certainly changed over the last five years that I started blogging, and that is for all the reasons you mentioned...my age, my kids getting older and more independent, and even just the changes in the blogging environment. The cool thing is that this is our own domain, and it can transition with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Sandy! Another reason I never wanted to become commercialized in any way...I wanted the blog to stay mine. I don't owe anybody anything and I have complete control over the content. I can make whatever changes I want whenever I want. I can take a break and not have to apologize or explain myself. My blog is for me. Period. :) I do love the circle of "friends I've never met in real life" and would hate to lose contact with y'all :):)

      Delete
  3. Hear, hear. Congrats to you for figuring out what your priorities are, both in real life and in this virtual world we all subscribe to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's how I've always felt about my blog. I don't care to be on a schedule and memes are not my thing, other than Sunday Salon and I don't even do that right. LOL. I think all bloggers should just do what makes them happy. I love personal posts. I tend to stick with a blogger who manages to work the personal stuff in, because it gives me a glimpse of the person behind the blog. Some blogs are beautifully done but I never get to know the person behind it and so then.. what's the point really? I can read about a book anywhere but I come to blogs for the personal interaction. Always have.

    ReplyDelete