Sunday, June 8, 2014

A New Beginning - Days 4-7

The middle daughter and I are still going strong on our Advocare 24 day Challenge.  
We've had a couple of tight spots over the last few days, but so far, when I'm weak, she's been strong, and vice versa.



One of the keys to a successful change in eating is being organized, I think. 
I'm an organizing wannabee, but the middle daughter is an organizer all the way. 
She clips coupons, finds recipes, makes lists, buys deals like shampoo for .49 and deodorant for .29.
She creates excel spreadsheets with our meals, supplements, snacks, etc. so there's nobody has to ask, "What's for supper?"
It's like having a personal assistant.


I swear I will fall apart when this girl goes to MSU in the fall.
:(
Who will tell me when to eat my snack??

On Day 4, I ran by the animal shelter where I volunteer and am on the board.
I had been on vacation the week before and Kids College after that, so I hadn't visited in over a week.
A beautiful Chocolate Lab (the staff appropriately named Hershey) was found while I was on vacation.  She looked to be very either very fat or pregnant.
Our manager took her to the vet who "diagnosed" her as 7-10 days away from giving birth.
The day I visited was 7 days from when he said that.
Geez.

You may or may not know that there are no maternity wards in animal shelters.
As a matter of fact, puppies under 6 weeks old are not allowed in shelters at all bc of risk of infection.
They have no immunity when they're first born and have to get that through their mothers.
Not to mention that our shelter is and always is slam full.
We are of the no-kill variety, so there always seems to be 15+ other animals to take the slot when one animal is adopted.
I know it's too late to make a long story short, but Hershey could not stay at the shelter.
One of our other board members volunteered to take her but could not do so until she returned from a weekend trip...11 days after the vet's prognosis.

Ok, so surely you know by now that Hershey is at my house, right?


We have no puppies, but today is Day 10.
I've got a birthing spot fixed up for Hershey just in case.
She rests in it sometimes and re-arranges the towels several times a day.
Oy.

She is the smartest, sweetest dog y'all.  She knows basic commands, is very obedient, and gets along with Hermione and the cats.
She has had a few accidents, but she is potty trained...I just had to figure out what her cue was.
She loves, loves, loves people, and it is very obvious that she was a family dog.
What we don't know is if someone lost her...or if someone dumped her when they realized she was pregnant.
Because, you know, getting pregnant and all...well, that's Hershey's fault...she shouldn't have been so promiscuous.
*&**%% (insert curse words here)

We've been posting her pics and keeping the communication lines open should someone come forward.
Unfortunately, we're all jaded enough to know that she was more than likely dumped.
Dogs don't wander when they're pregnant.
In the South, for whatever stupid reason, a lot of people still don't spay and neuter their pets.
It's why we have such a pet over-population problem and other areas have shortages.


Don't get me started.

On a more positive note, the middle daughter and I finished C25K Week 1 and started Week 2 today.



In the past I preferred to run alone...or with my Layla...and earphones with music blasting.
Now I enjoy being with my kid.
We don't converse much...except short spurts now and again, but we do pump each other up when needed.
This is my 2nd time going through C25K so I'm doing most of the pumping right now, but that's ok.
She lets us know when it's time for a snack :)




Till tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the pet thing. People can be such morons. The first thing I do when they are old enough is get them fixed. It's not healthy for them to not be fixed. Gah. We just took a cat and had him neutered. He was over two years old, obviously a family cat. But he yowled. Constantly. I"m sure it's why they tossed him out at night. We got him fixed and funny thing. He's no longer roaming around...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my issues that makes my blood boil. I'm not very good at answering the phones or working the front desk at the shelter bc of it :/ I'd rather play with the animals anyway. It's so simple, but like you said, so many people are morons!

      Delete
  2. We had a situation here at work where a lovely cat got dumped,. I knew it was a dump because she was just too sweet and not able to hunt like the other feral cats born on campus. We fed her and then she followed me around for a week but I got a rescue group to come in and get her. She walked right into the carrier.

    That pup looks like it could be any day now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I brought her home from the shelter, we were all sure she was in labor. I think now that she was just stressed. She's calmer here and seems to enjoy being part of a family. I have to keep her separate from my German Shepherd Layla though. Hershey has the kids' side of the house and Layla has the rest. So far, so good :)

      Delete

30 Minutes and 13 Reasons Why

4:48 p.m. I read 13 Reasons Why ...and loved it. I've been a fan of YA Lit for a long while and even taught a class one summer, s...