Friday, January 16, 2015

January 16, 2015 - Presidents, Politics, and Books

I'm at my mom's this weekend.  
We left her house this morning at 5:45 a.m. to have some tests run at the hospital and then slept most of the day after we got home.  
Her because of the anesthesia...and me because...well, because that's just what I do.  
I can sleep pretty much any time of the day.
I'm being serious. 




I have an idea for a book.  There.  I've said it.
I've never really thought that I might purposely write something other than my dissertation, but this idea just kinda hit me on the drive over Thursday night.  

When I was a little girl I always said I would live on a farm or somewhere with lots of land so that I could take care of all the animals that needed me. 
I'm 46, and I still feel that way.
This year I began my tenure as the Board of Directors President of my local animal shelter.
I didn't want the job because I didn't feel like I knew enough about the history of the organization (30+ years and counting), and because I like to play with animals, not people. 
People get on my nerves.
They make dumb decisions, they're snarky, they have hidden agendas, and everyone who has ever owned a dog or cat thinks he/she knows what's best for shelter animals.
For a variety of reasons, the rest of the Board felt I was the right person for this job (ie. nobody else wanted it either), so here I am.

I could also care less about politics.
It's a necessary evil, but I can't name a politician I trust. 
A local "rockstar" politician even surrendered a dog to the shelter a month or so ago.  
He "rescued" him.  
He couldn't leave a surrender fee or help us out with the medicines the dog needed for his mange but promised to send us much more at a later date.  
We haven't heard from him yet.  
Are you surprised?  I'm not.

Have you guessed what I'm going to write about yet?



No comments:

Post a Comment

30 Minutes and 13 Reasons Why

4:48 p.m. I read 13 Reasons Why ...and loved it. I've been a fan of YA Lit for a long while and even taught a class one summer, s...