Friday, January 2, 2015

January 2, 2015


Last June I introduced Hershey.
One day, when I have a lot more stamina than I do this morning, I will tell Hershey's entire story.  

Hershey and all her pups were adopted into really nice homes. 
In fact, I still stay in touch with the families and receive updates now and again on how all are doing. 

The above picture is my latest update on Hershey.
Sweet Hershey is in her 2nd adoptive home.  
She was returned by the first for jumping over the 5 ft. fence the new family expected her to stay in.  
Hershey also has anxiety issues.  
She tends to panic when she can't find her people.  She loves her people and just wants to be with them.

Hershey's 2nd home is much more dog anxiety saavy than the first one was...thank goodness.  
Her new home provided her with a crate for nighttime and time when her family is away, and she is part of their family rather than a lawn ornament.  
Hershey's new mom is a stay at home Mom and can take time with her each and everyday. 
Hershey is in heaven.
It's the home she's always wanted.

I talked with Hershey's new mom a few days ago, and she told me about an incident they had when Hershey was frightened by holiday revelry.  
We ended the conversation with me saying:
 "Thank you so much for loving Hershey despite her shortcomings."

Hershey's new mom's response was this:
"We all have shortcomings, and all deserve to be loved."

Whoa Nelly.
Amen.




4 comments:

  1. Wow, I teared up a bit reading that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hershey will always be a very special dog to my family, Melinda :)

      Delete
  2. I think one of the biggest things I learned when I adopted my first dog and it failed miserably, is that I had no idea what I needed to do as the owner. I was raised as a cat person and cats are literally ZERO maintenance. I had no idea that a larger dog required more exercise than say, a smaller dog. I had no idea that even when large, they feel best inside with their people. I'm a bright person. Not a dolt and yet, I knew nothing. Our first dog had such anxiety issues that he ate the stucco off the house one day and then had a heart attack at the vet. We all felt horrible. At the midway point, when we realized what we were doing wrong, we tried with all our might to make it work. Training, brought him inside, etc. But in the end, we failed.

    Years later, the kids wanted a dog again. I was like no, we know what they required and we are not dog people. It took me five years to learn enough about dogs, to talk to rescues who would not allow me to even try a dog because of my backyard situation, but eventually we found the right dog and now five years later, we can say we are dog people.

    I share this long comment only because I think many times, people do have good intentions but simply do not know how to do it right and when neighbors becomes involved and calls to the police are made, people make rash decisions to get rid of said dog. Because really, having a dog is a lot of work sometimes.

    I am glad Hershey has found a good home. Hopefully with some stability her issues will lesson and she's become more comfortable over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to educate our adopters as well as follow up after the adoption to help solve any issues that may arise. Sometimes it just doesn't work. As much work as I do with animals, I have failed before as well...a Rottweiler named Sugar Bear, a Boxer named Roxie, and a Bulldog named Bey Bey. I learned some very hard lessons in very hard ways. I'm sure I have more lessons in my future as well, but those mistakes make me that much more determined to help as many other dogs and cats find their happy fur-ever homes.

      Delete

30 Minutes and 13 Reasons Why

4:48 p.m. I read 13 Reasons Why ...and loved it. I've been a fan of YA Lit for a long while and even taught a class one summer, s...