Thursday, January 29, 2015

January 29, 2015 - A New Beginning

In the shelter world, there is one constant.

Need.

For every cat or dog that is adopted...
there is always another one...or two...that need you as well.

No matter how distraught we all were about Tebow, the shelter is still full of others that need us.  
And, not just need us...but depend upon us.

They don't have time for us to grieve.
They trust us and have learned to look to us for comfort, love, reinforcement, redirection, guidance, walks, food, comfort, a kind word or pat, a treat...everything.
No matter how bad I have felt...how much, at times, I have wanted to walk away...
I can't.  

A lot of people are afraid of spending time at an animal shelter because of all the emotions involved...but honestly, you just don't have time to waller as my grandmother would have said.  
You have to tighten your belt and keep moving.

This one needs me now:



Brittany came into the shelter one afternoon...dehydrated.  Very young...and taken away from her mommy way too soon.
We gave her water from a dropper and she perked up slowly.
At 4 pm though, I couldn't leave her there.
Would she make it from 4 p.m. to 7 a.m. the next morning.
I wasn't sure, but I wasn't about to test it.




After a quick trip to PetSense...for the basics...





I put my best foster assistant on the job.

Ed came home and Reagan asked, "Are we going to tell him?"
Ed said, "Tell him what?"

Brittany was only supposed to stay one night, but she's almost been here 2 weeks :P 
Ed: "Why are you doing this to me?" 




I was thinking the same thing after being up every 2-3 hours for the first 3 days we kept dear Brittany.
Good thing she's really cute ;)






We are big dog people, so we are a little unsure what to do with little dogs besides love them and help them survive.  




But, I'd say we're making progress.




Belly rubs are nice too :)

Keep on keepin' on.

That's my motto.

2 comments:

  1. so cute i'm glad she found her way to you and Tebow must have had a paw into it i'm sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know without a doubt that he did indeed, Miki :)

      Delete