Wednesday, January 7, 2015

January 7, 2015 - We Are Marshall

I don't watch a lot of movies.  
There's not really a reason. I just don't.  
Part of it is because I move around so dang much that when I stop for long, I'm asleep.

But there are a few that I will sit down for again and again. 
And, stay awake.
One of those movies was on tonight. 

Ed has the flu so he spent a lot of time in front of the television today. 
As I was passing through at one point, I stopped in my tracks when I realized which movie he was watching:


Ed coached football for over 20 years. The life depicted in the film "We Are Marshall" is authentic.  
The tragedy unbelievable.
Every time I watch the movie, I have to Google.
I Google the team, the coaches, the players, the parents, the pictures. 
I feel pain for the families, the community, the individuals.

But, as I scan the rankings during football seasons, and see Marshall's name, even though I did not go to school there, even though it's been 43 years since the plane crash that tore their worlds apart, 
I feel pride, strength, tradition, resiliency, the human spirit, perseverance.

It's a movie that makes you ready to put one foot in front of the other tomorrow.


Rise from the ashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

30 Minutes and 13 Reasons Why

4:48 p.m. I read 13 Reasons Why ...and loved it. I've been a fan of YA Lit for a long while and even taught a class one summer, s...