Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The Daily Grind

5:12 am

I was thinking yesterday afternoon about my schedule.
I have always balked at structure...but apparently it is exactly what I need.
I feel better on the days that are "scheduled"...I think I sortof feel less like I'm flailing about if there is some sort of map to follow.
Of course that brings with it the very possible beating myself up if I don't follow the schedule...or if I don't get something checked off the list. 
But I'm working on that.

I've backed my wake-up time on work days to 4:30.  
I gave 5 a.m. a try but I still felt rushed.
My reality is that I'm better in the mornings for the sit down and think types of tasks.
When I try to sit down and think in the afternoons, I just sink and fall into a state of blah.
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are especially blah because I have 4 classes in a row.
By the end of the 4th class, I'm pretty much a zombie.
So sitting at my desk or anywhere for that matter, to accomplish a reading or writing task is not happening.
My daily schedule on any given day looks similar but not the same bc of my class schedule, seasonal sports, workout routines, etc.
All the more reason to try and have a structure to follow.

This week Monday was a holiday so we began the week on Tuesday.

4:30 a.m. 
Get up, choose a coffee cup, start coffee, let the dog out...and wait for her.
Choosing the cup is paramount, people.
I've forgotten the dog a time or two...that's why I have to wait for her.


4:40
Quiet time begins

5:30  
Check teacher inbox and answer any messages that came in through the night.  Start the workday with a clean slate. 
Do not answer emails all throughout the day.  
Carve out times specifically for this purpose so that I don't feel connected to work 24/7.
I don't want work to define me.
My brain has a really hard time with that.

6:00
I hear Reagan's alarm clock go off.
We're testing using the cell phone as an alarm clock.
We shall see.

6:10
Tell Reagan to get up and that she won't be able to keep her cell phone in her room if she doesn't get up on time.

Reagan miraculously gets up.

I've been buying Reagan sandwich and snack supplies as she requested.  
But she makes her own lunch.  
I don't have time for that.

7:00
Leave the house.
Reagan's school is 30 minutes away.
I choose to take her myself instead of riding with a carpool because I just like it.  
I feel like with my older daughters I was very distracted...and missed out.
I don't want to miss out again :( 
Most of the time we listen to her music on the way to school...usually an education for me.

7:35ish
Reagan arrives at school.
We say our good-byes

I listen to my music on the way back home. 

On Tuesday mornings I'm testing out going to Wal-Mart in the am.
I hate Wal-Mart.
Hate.



I live in rural Mississippi so I don't have lots of options. 
Unfortunately, or fortunately...I don't know.
Wal-Mart does seem to have better prices than our community grocery store on some items.
That makes me sad...but we have to follow a budget...or attempt to anyway.

On this well-meaning Tuesday morning, I took my list (often forgotten)...and then pulled right into the track where I sometimes run.

Wait...what?

My brain did not want to go to Wal-Mart apparently so I started my day by re-arranging the structured schedule...before 8 a.m.


8ish
I ran my slow 2 mile workout with C210K
I've backed up to the basics to repair my form and breathing.
I have a marathon to run in Dec. and that's not going to happen if I don't get some things straightened out.

9:00
 back home for a shower only to realize my husband is in our shower and my oldest daughter is in her shower.
I stretched instead while trying to patiently wait for someone to get out of the shower.
Patience isn't a virtue of mine so I began to get a little testy.
While doing yoga.



9:20 a.m. 
I finally knocked on the door and said, "I've got class at 10:00 am.  When are you coming out of there?"

I made it to work at 9:55 a.m.
Ponytail day, no doubt.

I taught my class from 10-11:15
I'm struggling a bit with my students...and it's only the 2nd week of school.
They seem so needy.
Aren't they supposed to be college students?


11:15
I sat down at my desk, looked at my calendar, answered emails, and checked Facebook.

No, Facebook was not on the schedule.
I do have legitimate reasons for checking FB. 
I'm working with a group of ladies who use social media for business purposes.
I'm volunteering to help the animal rescue organization for which I was president keep up with their social media posts.
Etc.

But I get distracted.
Yesterday's distractions were good though and I was laughing before I knew it.

That does not always happen with Facebook.



5:51 a.m. - I'm over my 30 minute writing commitment...I think I've found something to write about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

30 Minutes and 13 Reasons Why

4:48 p.m. I read 13 Reasons Why ...and loved it. I've been a fan of YA Lit for a long while and even taught a class one summer, s...