Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Babies to Teenagers


I remember sitting in the pediatrician's office with my oldest who was not even 1. I was worried that I was spoiling her by holding her in my arms and rocking her to sleep every night. It was the biggest worry of my life at that point. The measure of whether or not I was a good parent depended on whether or not I was doing the right thing by rocking her.

My oldest will be 17 in March and I would give anything to be able to hold her in my arms and rock her to sleep, looking at her peaceful face after she finally drifted away, knowing that she had no worries...Today my oldest is worried about grades, activities, friends, summer camp, boyfriends, etc...and I can't make it all better anymore.

How do I measure myself as a parent now? How do I prepare her for some of the greatest disappointments in life that she has ahead of her? How do I take the pain away or even just make it hurt a little less? How do I put back together a broken heart? Or even just convince her that it will feel better with time?

Maybe she'll just let me rock her to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment