Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 3 - Sunset in the Mississippi Pines

Yesterday was a busy Sunday at our house. Aside from the normal Sunday morning activities of Sunday School, church and then lunch, I had a meeting at 2:00 that lasted until 4:30 and then had to be back at church by 5:30 for Children's Choir (which I direct), church again at 7 and then eating dinner out with some of our friends. Needless to say, it was almost 9 by the time we got home!! This is what always happens to me when I make a plan for our family to start going to bed on time! We did all make it to bed by 10:15 somehow; I was able to get my 365 Project photo uploaded to Shutter Sisters but didn't get it uploaded here due to my pesky husband sitting in the bed telling me I couldn't expect everyone else to go to bed if I wasn't willing to do the same. I hate it when he's right!

Anyway, between 4:30 and 5:30 yesterday afternoon I bundled up and headed outside with my camera to see what I could find for my Day 3 image. The sun was beginning to set outside so that sunshine glow was all over the woods behind our house. Even though I didn't plan to take my pictures at that time, I thought it might make for a really cool shot. Usually there are any number of squirrels jumping from pine tree to pine tree and it's a lot of fun to sit on the deck or by the pool and watch them. My goal for yesterday was to take some pictures of them.

For the record, squirrels are not very cooperative. It was almost as if from the time I walked outside, word spread that I was on the prowl..."Here she comes! Don't anybody move!" The two that I did spook ran so fast that my poor camera could not even begin to focus on them through the tree branches by the time they moved out of range again.

I don't usually walk within the trees because of sneaky snakes who like to hide under all the leaves. I imagine hundreds of them all curled up together like an Indiana Jones movie, just waiting on me to put my foot down. In South Mississippi we have no shortage of copperheads and water mocassins and I am HORRIFIED that I will step on one. I've heard entirely too many stories to the contrary. (It, of course, never occurred to me yesterday that any snake outside in 17 degree weather would be a frozen snake!). The final straw of my squirrel watch was when I spooked a poor little bunny rabbit who took off like lightning almost right under my feet. I'm not sure who was freaked out the most, her or me!!

Anyway, I decided then and there to save the squirrels for another day and look up into the tops of the trees...the sky was a vivid blue...interesting for a cold winter day...the pine trees mixed with oaks in our backyard contrasted against that blue with their browns and greens...not to mention the sunset glow, especially off of the green of the pine trees.

I'm just now getting brave enough to take my camera off the automatic setting...but I knew yesterday that I wanted the natural light...not an artificial light produced by a flash. Here is my favorite picture from those shots and the one I used for Day 3 of the Shutter Sisters 365 Project. Nice huh?



No comments:

Post a Comment