Monday, January 4, 2010

Goals for 2010

I always feel so much better when my life is organized. Those who know me well would laugh heartily if they could read this right now because my life is so far from organized. I've been thinking of tangible ways I can make some changes in my life to get our entire family back on track, and here are some of them:

1. Get up earlier in the morning. I love to sleep...always have...my mom worried about me when she sent me to first grade...she didn't know how on earth I would make it through the day without a nap. I love to snuggle under the covers in the early morning and just snooze away. I'm ok once I can get my feet on the floor, but I fight putting my feet on the floor so that doesn't help at all. When I do get up, I love to savor that first cup of coffee and read the headlines for the day...but I've got to get up earlier in order to have time to do these things.

2. Go to sleep earlier at night. Obviously, #2 will help #1...I enjoy the time after everyone else has gone to bed...my brain needs a while to settle down before I go to sleep so if we've had evening activities and are running late getting home, my settling down time pushes me later going to bed. My kids are adopting this habit of mine though and I can see bags under their eyes...while not attractive on a 41 year old, bags under the eyes of a 5, 15 and 16 year olds eyes because they're not getting enough sleep makes me feel like a terrible mother. We are going to bed earlier.

3. Eat healthier and cook more. I love to cook...but seldom do it. My excuse is that I don't have enough time...and I don't. But, I'm going to make time. My family's health depends on it. I have shelves of cookbooks and LOVE to cook at Thanksgiving and on special occasions. A full Saturday or Sunday where I have time to cook a homemade pot roast or grill in the summertime just makes me happy. What a simple way to be happy?? Eating at home is a lot healthier than eating out. When we eat out we are entrusting strangers to make decisions about what they're putting in our food, whether or not they've washed their hands (this makes me nauseous) etc. No more of that...no more McDonalds and Sonic at lunch. I'm going to eat healthier and cook more.

4. Leave work on time. My name is Patti and I'm a workaholic. However, my life will be better organized and balanced if I do just that...balance it. I once had a person ask me what I enjoyed doing in my spare time outside of work. I couldn't think of a thing. The brutal truth of the matter is if I died tomorrow, there would be someone doing my job before the day was out. My job is important and I will always give everything I've got and do the best job possible when I'm there...but I'm gonna start leaving on time.

5. Spend wisely. Ok...this should probably be #1...I am a spender. Again, friends I know well (and my husband) would start laughing out loud and making jokes at this point. I once asked my friend Missie what the little booklet inside my box of checks was (it was the check register). I was just kidding...but not really. I wish I didn't have to have a budget, but I do. And, most importanly, I have to stick to it. My husband would start shouting halleluia at this point. I'm 41; it's never too late to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment