Saturday, February 13, 2010

In the Middle

Taylor Swift's song, "A Place in This World" reminds me of my middle child. 


"I don't know what I want...


so don't ask me...


cause I'm still tryin' to figure it out."



My middle daughter is a scrapper.  She's a talented flautist, dancer, golfer and can take a computer apart and put it back together again. 


My middle child is a loving child who cares deeply for everyone's troubles and cries genuine tears for the pain of the world.  We've known this about her since she was very young.  


My middle child feels loss and grief deeply...the loss of her grandfather this year, while difficult for us all, was a searing loss for my middle child.


As a parent, knowing that my child bears the weight of the world on her shoulders is difficult...because I know that the world will disappoint her again and again.  








My midle child has the cutest dimples you'll ever see...she tries to hide them now that she's older, but I know where to look for them :)  She was diagnosed with asthma when she was 18 months old and we spent 4 days in the hospital.  The only way she would stay under the oxygen tent was if I stayed under there with her...so I did.  We watched Barney over and over through the thin plastic tent.  I memorized ever line in her face while we were under that tent. 







For some reason that I can't figure out, my middle child doesn't always see her "place in this world."  She's not a follower...and I am glad of that.  At the same time, her non-follower status makes her feel out of place in a small town high school sometimes.  I know that high school doesn't last forever and my middle child will be more prepared for the big world than many of her peers.  But, that's something she can't see yet. 


My middle child's sensitivity, creativity, loyalty, perseverence, stamina, talent and individuality are all characteristics that are invaluable in the world today...

and rare.

I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment