Monday, March 15, 2010

Charlie

I have always been an animal lover.
I can't remember a time in my life that I did not have pets.
Cats as well as dogs.
There are many animals that I can remember who touched my life in very special ways and incredibly special animals that I imagine I will remember for the rest of my life. 

When the Head of My Household and I were married, we got a dog together just a few months shy of our first anniversary.
Her name was Honey.
13 years later, dying from breast cancer, we had to have Honey put to sleep.
She was suffering.
As much as we loved her and could not bear to imagine our lives without her, we couldn't imagine letting her live in pain.
I still tear up, seven years after her death, when I see her in old pictures.
Only another pet lover can truly understand another person's deep loss over the death of a beloved pet.


My brother lost his friend Charlie Saturday.




My brother who will be 31 this year had Charlie for 11 years.
Charlie was a good dog.
A dog that not only my brother and his wife of 5 years Amanda will miss, but my family will miss Charlie as well. 
Even my older daughters don't remember life without Charlie.
He was just another member of the family.



Charlie was suffering.
And my brother couldn't let that continue.
Charlie meant too much to my brother to let him live one more minute in pain.
I get that.
I hope that my brother will remember Charlie at his happiest and healthiest.
And that Charlie loved him as much as he loved Charlie.

We'll miss you, Charles.
Love, Aunt Patti

1 comment: