Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Prize?? For Me??


Awweee!!!!

My sweet friend Terri (and a few days later Roan) gave me a prize!!!!


THANK YOU, TERRI!!!
AND ROAN!

When I started blogging in January of this year, I did it because I needed an outlet.  After only 2 months of blogging, I have no idea how I ever survived without it.  Blogging has given me a space where I can share my thoughts and feelings through writing, which has always been my mode of therapy. 

Could be why I chose to be a writing teacher :)
So I can do something I love all day long, every day :) :)

What I never imagined though was that blogging has opened up an entire other world out there of folks like me...bloggers who use photography and writing as a way to chronicle, analyze and simply share who they are and what their lives are all about. I feel like I know these people...even though I've never met them.  I love my new friends...and my old ones I've reconnected with.

What blogging does for me as well is encourage me to do other things that I love...
taking pictures and cooking...
I have taken pictures my whole life.
When I was a teenager, I had an entire wall in my bedroom that was corked and covered with a collage of photographs...I really did! 
I didn't know then, but I know now how cool it was that my mom let me do this...lots of parents would have said, "You can't put all those holes in my wall!"
But, she didn't.

I have also always enjoyed cooking.
At different times in my life I have gotten away from cooking simply because I have a hard time managing my time...
While my photography doesn't affect others, whether or not I cook, when I cook, how long it takes for something to be ready, etc. DOES affect others...very loud, whiney others when there's nothing to eat.
My recomittment to my family and in actuality myself in January included a recomittment to eating better, which always includes eating more food at home than in restaurants. 
Turning a responsibility into fun experiments with new recipes has made that responsibility seem more like playtime time rather than the same ole same ole dreary decisions.
I have to find excitement somewhere!

My beautiful mama (the one who let me put all those holes in the wall when I was a teenager) is still encouraging my creativity even today by keeping me outfitted with the latest photography and cooking equipment so I can keep learning...you should see all the loot I found in her cabinets this past weekend!
Thanks, Mom...What would I do without you?
I love you!

There are rules for accepting this blogging award, and they are as follows:


1. Post the award.

2. Thank and mention the person who gave you the award.

3. Pass the award on to seven bloggers whom you think embody the spirit of the Kreativ Blogger Award.

4. Name seven things about yourself that others do not know.

5. Don’t forget to notify the seven Kreativ Bloggers about their award and post a link to their blog.

 
Seven Things Most People Don't Know About Me:

1.  I am horrified of going to the dentist.

2.  I am allergic to all kinds of medicine...Benadryl and Dramamine can knock me out for days.

3.  I would rather eat a bag of potato chips than cake or pie.

4.  My guilty pleasure is vampire movies, stories, t.v. shows.

5.  I could stay in my pajamas and houseshoes all day and be perfectly happy.

6.  If I could wear my houseshoes to work every day, I would.

7.  I was engaged to someone else when I met my husband and father of my 3 children.  Almost the biggest mistake of my life.


Seven Kreativ Blogs That Inspire Me:

1.  My friend and colleague Sharon at Writerly Haphazardly is a Kreativ academic.  If you want to know anything about using the most up to date technological doo-dads in the classroom, Sharon is your gal.  Sharon is also an environmentally friendly cat lover, poet and lover of Southern literature and culture who tries to live her life in a way that gives back to the earth what has been generously loaned to us for the time we are here. 

2. I thoroughly enjoy The Lumberjack's Wife.  Taylor is a down-to-earth, silly, hard-working, mother of 4.  Her posts are written in a Kreativ poetic form that I am sure my friend and colleague Sharon could identify immediately...since I'm just a writing teacher, I just notice how interesting Taylor's writing style makes her posts...one liners that tell a story...really cool.

3. I'm drawn to Jennifer's blog The Cotton Wife for a couple of reasons.  I seem to be drawn to blogs whose authors are living their lives close to the land.  I come from a long line of agrigarians in one form or another, so reading about Jennifer and her family's life on a modern day working farm inspires me to also work hard at what I do and to remember where all that stuff in the grocery store comes from.  Jennifer is also a photographer whose Kreativ photos are of the natural beauty around her rather than something she photoshopped to death. 

4. The 7MSN Ranch blog tickles me, especial Deets the cat.  The author of this blog came home from a corporate job to a job with animals from home in New Mexico.  I'm fond of New Mexico due to a very special Spring Break trip last year so I enjoy reading about the lives of the horses, burros and of course, Deets.  I'm especially drawn into the blog by the author's Kreativ and vivid color photography, which draws me in and makes me want to go back to Taos very soon.

5. Warm Vanilla Sugar is a blog by Katrina, a college student...I don't know Katrina, just stumbled upon her well written blog...wouldn't have even known she was a college student if she hadn't posted it on her blog  (and I don't mean that in a snooty English teacher way, I promise).  Katrina's blog makes me feel good just from reading the title!  Katrina blogs about baking and uses incredible pictures against a sleek black background to showcase her food.  Katrina is also a vegetarian and tries to make her sweets as healthy and as close to nature as possible.  Love it!

6.  17 and Baking is another baking blog by an incredibly talented young woman who lives in Seattle.  My firstborn will be 17 this year and I think that's partially why I am drawn to this blog.  The other reason is the maturity of this young woman's writing.  Holy Smokes! 

7. And, finally for my 7th pick, I choose two sister bloggers, DVM Wife's Life and Amy's Sister.  Amy, at DVMs Wife, was a blogger 1st...her life as the wife of a large animal veterinarian drew me in because of her photography and stories of their family life including all the animals they encounter.  Amy's husband Yooper was, out of the blue, diagnosed with a brain tumor while she and her sister were on a vacation together.  Amy and her family's experiences dealing with her husband's treatment and their changed lives were the incentive for her sister to start blogging.  The love between these two is incredible...childhood memories come pouring out of my brain every time I read Amy's Sister.  I can only hope that my daughters will develop this kind of relationship with one another some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment