Monday, June 12, 2017

Day 389 - Welcoming Structure - Monday Meal Planning


I have a love hate relationship with structure. 
I resist it at all costs.
I have been dragged, teeth clenched, and biting nails, all the way to some event or task that I committed to but then changed my mind about. 
True Story.

I do, however, find security in structure when it's all said and done.
Heavy sigh.
Structure makes me feel like I do have some power in the world.
Structure makes me feel like everything may indeed just be ok. 
And a Meal Plan each week keeps each of my pesky family members from asking the dreaded question:

"What's for supper?"


I have such relief during the weeks that I actually plan ahead.  I totally realize this may not be a big deal to a lot of people...but for me, it parallels unbridled joy. 
I'm not even playin'.

I was visiting with my mom all weekend so my plan is a little behind, but here's what I have so far for this week:

Monday - Chicken Parm Salad with Baby Spinach and a Creamy Lemon Dressing from Hello Fresh



Tuesday - Zesty Crusted Catfish over Cilantro Jasmine Rice and Roasted Broccoli from Hello Fresh

Wednesday - Juicy Lucy Burgers with Tomato Onion Jam and Arugula Salad from Hello Fresh

**I'm a fan of the boxed meal plans and have tried 3 so far, Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, and Home Chef.  Blue Apron is my favorite right now because of their focus not just on fresh foods but they also focus on the environment, sustainability, and recycling.  I'm teaching summer school so the boxed meals also help me keep structure at home while I'm holding down an outside job as well.

Thursday - Farmers' Market - fresh veggies and cornbread

Friday - Breakfast - We like pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, and biscuits.  Yes, that's a lot of food, but it gets us through the weekend breakfasts, and everybody can eat what they want.
We used to have a big breakfast on Saturdays when all three girls lived at home.  As a matter of fact, I blogged about that very thing in 2010.
When I looked back at that post, I remembered one of the main reasons I started blogging to begin with...the memories :) 

Saturday - Grill, Prep for meals tomorrow.  What I grill will depend on what is fresh and available at the market on Thursday.  

Sunday - Casserole and/or Crock Pot - We're trying to stop eating out so much.  If I have a casserole made up and salad fixin's, we can just pop it in the oven after church and have a home cooked meal instead of spending a ridiculous amount of money for a sandwich somewhere.
I like the crock pot for Sunday Supper because it simmers all day, and I'm not in the kitchen all day. We just set the table and eat.

And, that's that for now!

Nap please!

2 comments:

  1. Your menus sound wonderful! I plan meals as well, including Meatless Mondays. I love to cook and eat healthy (unprocessed, often organic) food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We're learning to eat more unprocessed food. We are currently in the midst of "no eating out in June." I haven't convinced my husband about Meatless Mondays yet. I've tried...but so far, no luck. We have seriously toned down our meat serving sizes though. We eat too much meat!

      Delete