Thursday, June 22, 2017

Day 399 - Thankful Thursday





As a part of active recovery, a gratitude list is paramount for me.
What I want to do here weekly is not just be thankful for the easy stuff (although that does have a place)...but I want to take the negative and spin it positive.

So, no negatives here.  
Only positive.


1.  AA - Still thankful for my sobriety sisters, and last night I visited a new group after our regular meeting...a speaker group.  My sobriety sisters group is very small, cozy even...if an AA group can be cozy...but the speaker group was packed.  Packed. 
It was packed because 2 van loads of people were brought in from one of the local rehab centers.
The image in most of our minds of the alcoholic...the bum on the street with the 40 oz. Schlitz in a brown paper bag...was obliterated last night as clean cut, professional, mostly young, coffee drinking, expensive perfume wearing, smiling, congratulating people filled the room. 
There were so many people that when we formed the circle at the end of the meeting to pray the Serenity prayer, we had to layer up...the circle was too big for the room!
Now, I could look at this experience in a variety of ways...but remember, this is positivity only...so here goes:
I'm thankful AA exists.
I'm thankful that somehow, someway, no matter how, this roomful of people found AA.
I'm thankful that we somehow someway develop the nerve to stand up and tell our stories (or sit down)...so that the stereotypes will be expelled...so that other people will see that alcoholics are real people...they are your neighbors...they are your family members...they are others who work with you...they are the people you would never suspect...they have learned to hide their disease very well, and you would be stunned to find out about some of them.
Stunned.



2.  Millennials 

My husband and I are raising two millennials.  
We love every inch and ounce of them. 
I'm thankful for their differences and the new lens they bring to the world. 
I'm thankful for articles like this one from Penny Hoarder that give us some positives to build on for our millennial children. 
Has any generation ever been happy with the "new" generation that evolves.
Nope.

I'm thankful for the ability to open my eyes a little wider and maybe see our millennials as stylistically different from my generation instead of lacking some sort of value.



3.  Summer School - seriously. 
less classes overall means more time to spend with individual students...
more one on one instruction = relevancy = better grades = happy students
happy students=happy professor
happy professor gets to keep her sanity for one more semester.
happy professor remembers why she wanted to teach in the first place.
I'm thankful for summer school


4.  Our counseling center at the college where I work. 

I've been at the same college for 15 years.
When I first started teaching, a few students here and there needed help.
More help than a teacher could provide.
I've watched the numbers of students needing help multiply to an almost overwhelming number to date.
The two main counselors that our college offers are superb.
They go above and beyond and truly love what they do.
They want to help students and go out of their way to do so.
Just this semester, one of our counselors helped a young woman move out of an unhealthy home environment and into a dorm...and even took her grocery shopping.
Seriously.
This is the kind of stuff our counselors do.

This article from Small Pond Science really hit home for me.   
Who am I (the teacher) to decide whether or not a student's excuses are legit?
What if they're all legit?
We can say all we want about millennials...but these young adults live in a seriously difficult world. 
I'm extremely thankful for the hard-working caring counselors at our college.




5.  The older I get, the more thankful I am for my healthcare insurance.
I'm thankful that if I suspect a problem, I don't have to hesitate to go to the doctor.  
I'm thankful for my job that helps pay my health insurance.
I'm thankful for co-pays.
I'm thankful for prescriptions that don't break the bank. 
I'm thankful for hometown nurse practitioners who keep my entire family kicking.
I'm thankful that if I'm somewhere else and need something from my hometown clinic that I can shoot a text and get the answers.
Thankful doesn't even begin to describe it.



I am thankful for the men and women on both sides of the government brawl, who speak up and out and demand this kind of healthcare for all U.S. citizens.


No comments:

Post a Comment