Thursday, July 6, 2017

Day 413 - Thankful Thursday - Positivity




As a part of active recovery, a gratitude list is paramount for me.
What I want to do here weekly is not just be thankful for the easy stuff (although that does have a place)...but I want to take the negative and spin it positive.

So, no negatives here.  
Only positive.

1.  AA - I have a feeling AA may hold the #1 spot for a while on Thursdays.  I was running late last night and almost didn't go to the meeting.  I sortof pushed myself to walk through the motions and arrived as the much larger group was reading the first parts of the AA program.
I could see the others through the window but I kept going.  I only paused for a second.
I wanted to go in.
I was anxious to be with my tribe.
my tribe.
new friends and old.
There was one person there who received her 24 hour chip.
I remember being her...413 days ago.
I remember knowing once and for all, that I had two choices:
Stop drinking.
Or die.
I chose to stop drinking and live.
 I'm thankful for 413 days of choosing life.




2.  I'm thankful that my family is ok financially.
I'm thankful that we can take a week each year and go somewhere together.
I'm thankful for our jobs that give us the security to do so and to know that another paycheck is coming.
I'm thankful that we have a budget and try our very best to stick to it. 
Even I was able to save $500 for vacation! 
I'm thankful for that $500.




3.  I'm thankful for summer reading.
My youngest was assigned to read The Hobbit this summer, but we took a break in June.
It's July now, so it's time for reading.
I'm so thankful that I was able to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone aloud with my older girls when it was released.
I'm so thankful now that I can read The Hobbit with my 13 year old.
I'm thankful for J.R.R. Tolkein, Bilbo Baggins, and Gandalf.
Heck, I'm even thankful for the trolls :)  




4.  I'm thankful for the library.
I'm thankful that they forgive me every time I return a book late.
Which is every time I check out a book.
I'm thankful for the overdue fine.
I'm thankful to be able to donate $ to the library in the form of an overdue fine.
And, then I'm thankful that they let me check out more books and don't judge me for always bringing books back late.

I love this pensive photo of Sylvia Plath...and her bare feet.


5.  I'm thankful for spaghetti. 
I'm thankful for the saucy easy goodness of it that says, "Cook me!" when I can't think of anything else to cook and/or I'm too tired to cook what I had planned.
I'm thankful also that spaghetti is pretty dang cheap to make. 
I'm thankful spaghetti fits into our budget.




What are you thankful for?



3 comments:

  1. I love this post. I love that you are comfortable sharing your AA journey with us too. I really think that the relationships made help to keep you on target. My husband attends on Wednesday nights nights so after the holiday he thought no one would be there but still went and there was a small group but it was a good discussion. I am also thankful for AA! Also thankful for the library. I got a notice saying that my card expired while I was trying to put something on hold and it's like my world stopped. I got it renewed last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very afraid to share my journey. I kept it to myself and my husband and one friend for the first year. I was scared to death, and keeping it to myself probably impeded my recovery some. I don't know. I decided to be honest on my 1 yr. anniversary because I know for a fact that there are other people like me who may be in the shadows just trying to figure this disease out. We see a lot of stereotypical "alcoholics" in the media and in our world but not so many people who are living normal lives in recovery. I think that's a stigma that needs to be changed. I'm amazed at the women in my group...they don't fit the stereotype at all. They make me want to yell from the rooftops how amazing recovery can be :) LOL! about the library card! I actually got an overdue notice in the mail this morning for Hillbilly Elegy ;P I need to finish that review this weekend so I can take their book back to them on Monday :)

      Delete