Thursday, November 9, 2017

Thankful Thursday - 30 minutes - writing - Starbucks






As a part of active recovery, a gratitude list is paramount for me.
What I want to do here weekly is not just be thankful for the easy stuff (although that does have a place)...but I want to take the negative and spin it positive.

So, no negatives here.  
Only positive.

1. writing - even if it's just these 30 minutes a day posts, even if nobody else reads it, writing soothes me...I can't tell you how many times I've been spinning out of control and at least burned off some steam by sitting myself down and writing. 

2.  options - my dad pushed me to get my terminal degree so that I would have options.  Even if I never needed them or wanted to pursue them, he believes a person should always have options.

3.  my Starbucks - ok, I know this is a tad shallow, but I love walking in the door to, "Good Morning, Mrs. Patti!" 

4.  podcasts - I'm unable to go to AA meetings right now because of so much other "stuff" in our schedule - podcasts are my AA meetings.  The online recovery world is such a saving grace.  I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before.

5.  honest discussion - don't balk here...the husband and I have been married 28 years, and a few nights ago we had one of the most honest discussions we've had in our entire marriage and/or time together.  Seriously.  It was difficult, but I swear I feel closer to him than I ever have. 

6.  choir - I've been singing in church choir since I was in middle school.  My parents always made sure I was there...we kids complained, fussed, Mrs. Jones was so mean, etc...and then the band...I was certainly not the most accomplished flautist, but I learned to read music and learned enough musical theory to enable me to hold my own in a choir full of "real music people."  Choir right now may truly be my therapy...I love the melodies, I love the cadence, I love our professional, humorous, faithful, musical director and his high expectations.  I love the other choir members who've welcomed me with open arms.  I love the music...oh the music...I hum it every day, and the emotions the music evokes are so deep.  Choir truly touches my soul and keeps me grounded.

7.  Thanksgiving prep - Thanksgiving is my jam.  This weekend I will start my prep and I'm just giddy about it!


Take a minute and find something to be thankful for...I promise...it's worth it.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Thanksgiving. I have purchased NOTHING yet and by now, I usually have the gluten free stuff purchased because I have to hit all these different stores for them. But, I've been busy so I will do my best. Plus, I signed up for a meal train for my life group friend whose dad died in the Vegas shooting. That is the day after Thanksgiving so I will shop for that meal too.

    These days, I just like simple. I would be fine skipping the whole commercial aspect of Christmas for moments instead. Going to coffee with old friends I haven't seen in a while, seeing a ballet, or a play or attending all the city events. I HATE the commercial aspect of the holidays. It's harshing my mellow. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I just love simple. And quiet. I would so much rather just stay home and read, drink some tea or coffee, and bake a thing or two. That's enough. This world exhausts me.
      Ok, that's my new mantra..."you're harshing my mellow!" :)

      Delete