Monday, March 7, 2011

It's the little things...


I'm back on the road again...this time with my oldest who's serving as a page for one of our local congressmen this week while Congress is in session.  Coincidentally, I have some work to to with the State Dept. of Education this week so it worked out for me to stay with my oldest in a hotel near the capitol building.  My youngest tends to get antsy when I'm away too long so I let her ride along with us for the first night. 

I'm sitting here tonight thinking about the small things she's noticed today:

The ride
How many different roads go in so many different directions
Time with her big sister and me
Walking into the hotel
Checking out the cool surroundings
Sitting in the lounge area while I checked us in
Pushing the elevator buttons
Using the card key
Giving the valet our ticket and/or keys depending on whether we are coming or going
Looking up at the capitol building and asking "How long ago was this castle built, Mommy?"

Makes me smile...
And makes me remember that life is worth slowing down a little and looking around
Honor the little things.
And the little ones.
:)


5 comments:

  1. I love this post, it brought a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis - wasn't it wonderful to think that the world around you was just an endless array of one discovery after another?? :)

    Ms. C - my youngest brings a smile to my face as well...and keeps me young :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful time to share with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smile on her face. I think my favorite part of being a parent is being reminded to enjoy and get happiness out of the small moments, like getting to push the elevator button. I hope you all had a wonderful time. You must be very proud of your eldest.

    ReplyDelete