Monday, October 3, 2011

More Mini Book Reviews

A Bad Day for Sorry by Sophie Littlefield



I stumbled on this one...somewhere...probably as one of the many free Kindle or Nook downloads I accumulate.
Stella Hardesty to me is an aging Stephanie Plum with more baggage.   Stella actually survived an abusive marriage...even though her husband did not.  She spends the rest of her life running a little sewing shop and helping other abused women pay back those who've made their lives miserable.  Stella barely stays above the law but is not in the least bit a hardened assassin of any kind.  She is tough enough to do what needs to be done but sensitive enough to feel deeply for others.  There are many others in this series and I will probably read another one, but I'm not hanging on the edge of my seat.  



Hit List by Laurell K. Hamilton



I love this series.  There have been some good ones, Narcissus in Chains and some bad ones, Micah, but what I love about these books is that when another one comes out, I can't wait to read it...when it's auto shipped from Amazon, I stop everything and give it all my attention.   I think I read this one in 24 hours...don't you just love getting caught up in a book like that??

While I'm very much a Jean Claude fan, I respect the relationship between Edward and Anita...In Hit List, that relationship takes front and center as they work on a huge case tracking a serial killer.  Amongst a load of supernatural beings, the scariest thing in the entire series is Olaf...he makes me shiver...he's like Hannibal Lecter who's now working for the police...incredibly complicated.  Olaf scares me more than Marmee Noir...who is the most evil of all the vampires. If you're a fan of this series, this is one of the best yet.  



Smokin Seventeen by Janet Evanovich



Another series on the Amazon auto-ship list... I read this one quickly as well.  This one was one of the best yet...with all the expected Stephanie Plum characters and craziness but with some added spookiness.  A killer is in Stephanie's midst...and is closer than she could ever imagine.  My daughters would call him a "creeper."  I would call him "scary."  His ability to fool everyone was what really gave me the willies...this is one of those events that I warn my girls about.

I'm still a Morelli girl, but I'm beginning to think that Stephanie may have to actually try a relationship with Ranger...I'm not sure she'll ever have her doubts cleared up if she she doesn't.  That ought to give Janet Evanovich at least 3-4 more books worth of material before she actually has to settle Stephanie and Joe down...if that's what she decides to do.  The next installment in this series comes pretty quickly, Nov. 22, and I'm already looking forward to it :)

6 comments:

  1. I'm one or two books behind in the Stephanie Plum series, but I never tire of them. I'm firmly in the Ranger camp myself. (BTW have you seen the trailer for the movie? Not bad casting except for Stephanie. Not sure I can handle it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard some good things about A Bad Day For Sorry, and have actually been interested in that one for quite awhile. It sounds like it's one that I need to read. Thanks for the great mini-reviews. I always love this format!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, I'm thrilled with the Morelli pick...WOW! but not sure about the Ranger pick...I need to hear him talk and see him move ;)
    Katherine Heigl would not have been my first choice for Stephanie either :(

    Zibilee, Sorry is a good read...Stella isn't bogged down in her issues even though she certainly has a right to be. I like that her character is a realistic survivor and she's chosen to live.
    I think I like the mini review format as well...I tend to go on and on and on about books if I don't rope myself in. The mini format may just be my rope :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of abandoned Stephanie Plum around Book 9. I can't believe she STILL hasn't picked Morelli or Ranger. They should both give up on her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenners, she frustrates me too sometimes...and I almost gave up at one point too...but this last one was really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mini reviews. The cover of the first one pulls my attention right away.

    ReplyDelete